Picked up my parts truck

Picked up a donor truck for one of my B-61's. Problem is, as usual, I'm on the fence as to whether or not to part it out. I bought it mostly for the tires, mirrors, cab lights, engine/trans, and power steering box (and maybe the air ride seat) but it could be a pretty handy rig the way it is with the boom/basket. Maybe I can find someone that wants the boom/turret/down rigger assembly to put on another truck, otherwise i have no idea what to do with it. I'm not good at throwing stuff away. It runs sweet (237) and has the 6spd maxi torque. 

Resized_20210426_093516.jpeg

Resized_20210426_093450.jpeg

Resized_20210426_093455.jpeg

• Like 2

Dual inlet air cleaner?  Is that a canadian cold air set up, eh?

Looks like a pretty decent truck.  That boom would get you as high as about anyone would need to get!(not me...I like watching from the ground)

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

You’re almost better off to just take your cab and nose and put them on that frame seems a lot easier and you’re B model probably Doesn’t have any top end I am sure that R model has longer legs good luck... bob

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

You’re almost better off to just take your cab and nose and put them on that frame seems a lot easier and you’re B model probably Doesn’t have any top end I am sure that R model has longer legs good luck... bob

Isn't the R-model frame wider at the front than the B?

Seems like on the BCRs, which use a B-model frame, the front of the frame rails are visible in the grille opening.

I'd try to save the R, but I'm a little weird.  The seating position in R is a lot more comfortable, in my opinion.  'Course, nothing looks as good as a B.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

11 hours ago, mowerman said:

You know I know almost nothing about b models but I think the frame is narrow front and back be a lot easier to make up cab mounts then trying to transfer components that’s what I would do... bob

The thought of transferring the cab to the R frame occurred to me for a nano-second but for me, to accomplish what i want that would be WAY more work. The boom trucks frame is WAY to long and would need to be shortened. The biggest possible challenge that I see is adapting the power steering box from the R into the B since the steering is completely different between the two. The steering box on the R is down by the axle while the steering box on the B is about half way between the axle and the firewall. This will require main g a  mount of some sort either where the B box is to accommodate the R box or down by the axle and changing out the drag link/pitman arm ETC to accommodate. As far as mounting the engine /trans in the B frame, I don't expect that to be a big deal. I put a 1984 mercedes diesel/4spd into a 1931 Ford model A with a little bit of creative engineering so I doubt that putting an '84 Mack into a '58 Mack will be too bad. Besides, from what i understand, it's been done 1000 times before so how hard a can it be?. 

Ask Jeff of the WAI section of the Just Old Trucks website about donor trucks.. The one he bought as a donor he has been showing for about 3-4 years and the original is still not restored completely..

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

you do what you need to do,bud....funny you mentioned 57 chevy....i had 4  55 chevys in the 70s....now i look at them as pretty cool but id rather have something else....64 galaxie,,,69 roadrunner.49 dodge lol...bob

• 2 weeks later...