MP8 performance parts?

Mack_Dog

Hello fellow mack truck lovers, so my question is there any performance upgrades for the MP8? I know the dealer can up the power by 50HP but they will charge me 4-5.5k(technician info) which is STOOPID expensive for what ill be getting! I know i could also go thru the body builder and have them make out a 800hp but i wanna save that as last resort. Bully, as far as i know the only one, makes a turbo manifold too. This will be a slow-ish process and i know my transmission will be limiting me as well. Any advice? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I'm going to watch this thread, because I'm curious. So 505HP and around 2000LbFt of torque is not enough?? what type of trucking are you doing? I'm Truly Just curious... Jojo.....  Hey "V" how much torque does the MP-8/D-13 have?

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I'm going to watch this thread, because I'm curious. So 505HP and around 2000LbFt of torque is not enough?? what type of trucking are you doing? I'm Truly Just curious... Jojo.....  Hey "V" how much torque does the MP-8/D-13 have?

You would be correct. I believe it's 1850. Nevertheless I agree with what you are saying. The engine block and rotating assembly won't withstand the torque twist for long.

V

Heck i figured a U-Joint, or a rear end, or axle.. I have rebuilt a few Eaton  404's 3 years ago, mostly power dividers, and some that I couldn't save. MP's up front.   Hell I don't know.....   Jojo

Don't know what can be done with an MP but I personally know 6 ISX Cummins that were deleted by the biggest advertising delete company you see and they had the 750 h.p. programs. They pulled pretty good.....for a very short time. Then they ALL blew up. LOL

• Like 1

no i wont be in any drag competitions haha its mostly a "i want big power i need big power" kinda thing. Although from my business accounting point of view, less time spent going up those west coast grades = more time being spent on more productive things lol. I just want a little more power for the time being, for fun, and then when i retire the truck i want to go full 800HP just becuase itll be cool!

• Like 1

Factory/dealership HP upgrades for MP8 should be fairly cheap. If you have a Mack transmission and truck is out of warranty. The dealer cost to go to 505 is usually around $200 , the dealership will usually mark that up 30% or $100 and charge 1 hour labor to install it . If the truck is still under warranty the the cost of the download is the difference between the cost of the factory engine versus cost of a 505 HP engine at time of purchase. Usually $1200-1400 plus markup and labor to install .  On some year models there is the 505 Plus download that has an extra 100 ft pounds of torque that you can get . You can’t get the 505 if you have a Fuller trans with a low torque rating or if you have a Allison transmission in a GU .  They do have a 505 E download that’s for trucks with smaller Fuller trans where you get the 505HP but not the bigger torque.  If a dealer is gonna charge $4-5000  for a factory upgrade, you need to find a new dealership. 

Edited by Mackpro

I have the 505, they said itll bump me up to 550 with the tune, but id like a bit more power and torque just for the fun of it since im more into power and tuning than i am into shiny parts. And of course, paying 4-5k for a 45HP increase is straight up robbery! Sometimes i wish i went with a cummins or cat since theyre more modifiable but i love my mack haha. I read on here some guy was pushing crazy amounts of HP with the MP8 doing some type of races but i dont remember if hes still active here

• Like 1

Yeah they even discontinued the mp10 here. Whereas you guys even have the superliner pushing almost 700HP!

Probably, i tried looking up the article but i couldnt even find that. It was a black 2 axle truck, single turbo. And the convo was about making Mack trucks have a compound turbo set up for more power or something like that. Guess ill just have to give Mack body builder a ring to see what they can do without bending me over since i can just tell the price will not be good haha

• 3 weeks later...