Split Rims

There was a thread about welding the center back into a rim and we were discussing split rims, for some reason I can't find it. This split rim is on my truck--the lock ring is solid, and you pry the rim open to get the lock ring off. I don't know how safe these are, but I won't be using it when I put good tires on my truck.

204.JPG

205.JPG

4 hours ago, h67st said:

There was a thread about welding the center back into a rim and we were discussing split rims, for some reason I can't find it. This split rim is on my truck--the lock ring is solid, and you pry the rim open to get the lock ring off. I don't know how safe these are, but I won't be using it when I put good tires on my truck.

204.JPG

205.JPG

I have seen a couple of Those Rims, Know SFA about them though. I'd be putting Tubeless rims on as well..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

1 hour ago, Mike Harbison said:

those rims,just like anything else,were just as safe as the person changing them. Those type,and all other tube type rims for that matter,got a bad rep from inexperience.  

Speaking as Someone who has stripped down & put back together more than his fair share of 2 & 3 piece Rims without incident or mishap. I'm inclined to agree with you..... 

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

11 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Speaking as Someone who has stripped down & put back together more than his fair share of 2 & 3 piece Rims without incident or mishap. I'm inclined to agree with you..... 

Same here; we changed hundreds of tube-type tires back in the 80's, never had one come apart on us.

• Like 1

ya i never had an issue with them either,,,but what worries me these days is the age of them...im planning on going to tubeless as well.never know when thiers a hairline crack in a lockring,nobody noticed

lots of container chassis around,,,im sure i will find something....bob

Those rims are still very common in Africa, Mexico etc. Nothing wrong with them per se, but like mentioned you have to know what you're doing. You used to see a lot of tyre guys missing every single tooth, or parts of their face. Career Day was rough for those chaps I guess. You can't have your head a mile away when you're working with those. Things have come a long way.

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

I got hired in 73 to replace a guy that got hit with one... bob

What condition was he in after the hit? Interesting that you say that, because I got hired as a truck fleet mechanic in 1984 at Pic-Way Shoes after the guy before me stopped in the street to pick up a carton of cigarettes that someone dropped. A lady who was legally blind ran over him and he was killed.

Years ago I was friendly with one of the tire guys that would do the tires for the company I worked at it was back when you would still see split rims. He showed me the ins and outs of dealing with those rims if you looked hard enough they were numbered to be kept together he claimed if you kept the parts together and in good shape he wasn't worried working on them. In the early 70's you would see a lot of split rims  in the tire shops it was standard most trucks had them I had them on my New Idea manure wagon.