E-7 overhaul

Bluebulldog

What is it going to cost me to get my 2000 e7 rebuilt? Starting to use a little oil and has some blow by.  No blue smoke at all though seem to get a oil burning smell when free wheeling into town.  Truck is in really nice shape otherwise and will probably run a long time yet at just 10 thousand or so miles a year!   

• 2 years later...
On 1/25/2021 at 8:22 PM, Bluebulldog said:

What is it going to cost me to get my 2000 e7 rebuilt? Starting to use a little oil and has some blow by.  No blue smoke at all though seem to get a oil burning smell when free wheeling into town.  Truck is in really nice shape otherwise and will probably run a long time yet at just 10 thousand or so miles a year!   

Did you end up getting yours overhauled?  I've got a 99 model with the same motor and I'm curious what it'd cost to overhaul as well.

heads are aproaching 2 grand now. PAI has kits (without heads) around 4 grand..  cam sets I think are around $1500.00.. I think you can build one for around $10,000.00  If you do the labor yourself.     May I suggest starting your own NEW thread on this issue..  That usually gets better exposure..  jojo

ive used Agkits.com to get PAI engine parts.  They have Heads, and inframe kits, cam and bushing kits, oil pumps and so on.  The Inframe kits are better than Macks, and have more gaskets and seals including the head gaskets. I have built (6 or-so) E-7/ E-Techs in the last 2+ years and they are doing good. The parts are working. When I build one, it usually costs between $15,000.00 - $18,000.00, labor included, and that is also with me going to their shop and building it on-site..  Good luck and keep in touch..  Jojo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

ive used Agkits.com to get PAI engine parts.  They have Heads, and inframe kits, cam and bushing kits, oil pumps and so on.  The Inframe kits are better than Macks, and have more gaskets and seals including the head gaskets. I have built (6 or-so) E-7/ E-Techs in the last 2+ years and they are doing good. The parts are working. When I build one, it usually costs between $15,000.00 - $18,000.00, labor included, and that is also with me going to their shop and building it on-site..  Good luck and keep in touch..  Jojo

Thanks for the info!  That's in the range I was thinking after looking up some kits online.  Not going to undertake the project until the end of the year, but this gives me a good general budget to start saving money for.

5 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

heads are aproaching 2 grand now. PAI has kits (without heads) around 4 grand..  cam sets I think are around $1500.00.. I think you can build one for around $10,000.00  If you do the labor yourself.     May I suggest starting your own NEW thread on this issue..  That usually gets better exposure..  jojo

2K for heads ???🤢    holy cow

Mack E7 Remanufactured Cylinder Head

• Availability: 
  • Part Number: B732GB3452MX
  • OEM Number: 732GB3452MX
  • Brand: Agkits 

This item has a $140 handling charge (added in checkout).
Refundable Core Charge*

Yes (+ $250.00)

$1,710.43 (+$250.00)

prop65-warning-symbol-14pt.pngWARNING: Cancer & Reproductive Harm - 

Raneys truck parts has new heads for $3,000.00..................................

Bob White, Do you think my labor cost of $4k-$5k is too high?  Just curious.  and also curious how many guys go to the customer with their own tools and builds them?  No biggie,,  just curious...  Jojo

5 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Bob White, Do you think my labor cost of $4k-$5k is too high?  Just curious.  and also curious how many guys go to the customer with their own tools and builds them?  No biggie,,  just curious...  Jojo

Most shops in my area charge $85 to $110/hr.  From what I've seen overhauls for most motors take 40 to 50hrs. I'd say your prices are pretty competitive. 

I just flat rate the builds.  E-7/E-Tech.  Pulled out is $4,000.00 / In-frame is $4,500.00....   ASET-C   $5,000.00..   Plus I come to you, so you can stand over my shoulder when I work :) I take 50+ hrs.  I do a lot of measuring, and checking, and lots of note taking during tear down, and re-build...  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Not at all. 4-5 grand for labor isn't bad at all. Heck I've been quoting plumbers all week and its $1000 bucks just for them to come all the way down here 😡

But in most other dealer and big shops the labor is the part that drives up the costs. You not only have to pay for the rebuild but the insurance and social security for all the employees that work at the shop. The big guys know they can't compete with the small guys in price so they drive em out of business. Sorry Joey I didn't mean to dog on your business or anything. I'm young and dumb and try to do and learn everything myself, bites me in the butt most of the time down the road. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Please,,,,  No apology needed..   I truly ask questions to learn and get opinions..  I am small potato's for sure..  I get the shop/dealer pricing..  Part of my question is because, here in my area, I have been told i'm too expensive.  But on BMT Many of you say the opposite.  :) Like I said before,, I say to the potential customer....  ''I drive my service truck to you and use my special engine tools" how can you say i'm expensive, and if you took it to the Mack dealer that I worked at,  I would have been the one to build the engine anyway..  

All good Bob White... I hope you find a plumber that is reasonable and good at his craft..   Jojo

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I just flat rate the builds.  E-7/E-Tech.  Pulled out is $4,000.00 / In-frame is $4,500.00....   ASET-C   $5,000.00..   Plus I come to you, so you can stand over my shoulder when I work :) I take 50+ hrs.  I do a lot of measuring, and checking, and lots of note taking during tear down, and re-build...  

Isn't that annoying have people look over your shoulder while your working?    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

880joe, makes a good point.  I really didnt have bad experiences with the owner being there.  He actually got to see how I did my work, and is greatful for the attention to detail, and not rushing the work..  As far as the phone ringing every hour, that was the B.S. at the dealership...  I don't miss it or a pushy service writer...  :) 

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..
  • Like 1