What is this?

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

Lubrication for the air starter just a guess ..... bob

I have one of those set ups on my truck, but it is not a hand valve.  Can't recall if mine is on the return line?, but goes to a poppet valve that feeds into the air line to the starter.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

32 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

I have one of those set ups on my truck, but it is not a hand valve.  Can't recall if mine is on the return line?, but goes to a poppet valve that feeds into the air line to the starter.

Uses fuel for lubrication?  Just asking.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

2 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Uses fuel for lubrication?  Just asking.

That’s what kenworth dealer parts man  told me years ago .... air starter was lubricated by diesel fuel line .... my truck doesn’t have one because I added the air start ... bob

6 minutes ago, mowerman said:

That’s what kenworth dealer parts man  told me years ago .... air starter was lubricated by diesel fuel line .... my truck doesn’t have one because I added the air start ... bob

Huh!  Did not know that.  But, diesel fuel would be a pretty good cleaner/lube for an air motor, I suppose.

Learns something new every day...

Thanks, Bob

Ya, my air starter got stiff a year ago, so I bought the automatic oiler and installed it.  Tap off the fuel line.  It uses fuel pressure to fill a small cavity, then the spring closes that valve.  Then once you hit the air button, it pushes that volume of fuel into the starter to lubricate the vanes.

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

Maybe some sort of high pressure relief valve not sure of the hand lever with pressure spring????????? Bob

That is the feed side, so I can't see any reason for a pressure relief.  I think the spring is just there to hold it open.  I would bet if you rotate it over about 90* CW, the spring will then hold it closed.  Just guessing.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Ya, my air starter got stiff a year ago, so I bought the automatic oiler and installed it.  Tap off the fuel line.  It uses fuel pressure to fill a small cavity, then the spring closes that valve.  Then once you hit the air button, it pushes that volume of fuel into the starter to lubricate the vanes.

That is the feed side, so I can't see any reason for a pressure relief.  I think the spring is just there to hold it open.  I would bet if you rotate it over about 90* CW, the spring will then hold it closed.  Just guessing.

Great description of the lubricator.

I can't see the point of this one either though.  Would like to know if anybody figures it out!

But really strange to see the spring. My truck has a wire which goes to the dash with a knob on. The same as the rack control setup.

Hmm... That small "lee" at the left of the pic too looks like a clamp which was supposed to attach the wire sleeve in the past.

Edited by Vladislav

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Shut off makes sense. Appears to only have 1 in and 1 out. So it didn’t look like a feeder for anything. Spring was probably put on to hold it open after the operating cable broke and left somebody cussing on the side of the road!

• Like 2

I like Vlad's answer and dcweasel's reason for the spring. I'm going to look through my repair manual to see if there's anything mentioned about it. The thoughts about starter lube are good--I'll have to keep that in mind when I put the truck together.