Better ride

danny123

Sounds like the cab has air ride and the air bag for the cab isnt inflating

Maybe a linkage has dropped off valve or the valve is fault

Hop under the truck and look at the cab for a deflated air bag or bits missing or hanging

Well walked the dog "Miss Molly" that is, my border collie 

While I was walking I thought I would quickly google air ride for CH Mack cabs 

And it appears that as I suspected CH Macks have a air ride cab 

Now the Granite you have I believe is based on a CH  cab

It should have air ride similar to this photo 

And it should ride pretty good when working

The way describe that your truck is looking like its broken in half when parked would lead me to think the cab air ride isnt working at all1996-Mack-CH613-Cab-Mounts-o-TM18-Hn-B3q

So I would check the air bag shown in the middle of the picture to see that its inflated

Paul

• Like 1

Those pictures are of air ride cab air bags.....with NO air in them (lol)  It looks like the link is still hooked to the valve, so why there's no air in them ???   could be the valve or a leak or air supply is restricted for some reason. Get bags that hold air and replace those shocks. The bushings suggest they're old and shot which means there's a  really good chance the cab mounts are wiped out too. Correct those issues and you'll see instant improvement in the ride.

• Like 1

if the bags deflate with engine shut off, you have a leak somewhere. if they stay deflated with engine running and air at 120lbs, there is a problem with the valve or link to the valve.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

The bags deflating overnight is nothing to worry about.  What suspension does the truck have, are there flat spots on the tires, how long is it?  We have 2 trucks with 44s and the 1 that is about 18" longer rides great, the other shorter truck empty feels like a bucking bronco.

• Like 1

You should always tackle audible air leaks as soon as you notice them. An air leak can become serious enough that you lose your ability to regenerate air for your brakes.  Last thing you need is to kill someone because you couldn't stop your truck. A 73,000 lb triaxle vs a 3500 lb car is no joke.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, danny123 said:

I'm guessing changing the shocks maybe improve the ride, they look bad..

It certainly won't hurt; describe what's "rough" about how the granite rides. Knowing how it feels tells us a lot.

I had the dad of a guy I drove for take the front axle shock absorbers off my truck one night without telling me.  After my back was killing me the next day I went into the office (and he was there eating his lunch) I made it pretty clear to leave the old shocks on until he has new ones to put on instead. IDK wtf he was thinking but I was a little pissed. 

Without shock absorbers, springs will continue to bounce for a while after one bump.

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That'll be shock absorbers most likely. Cab ones, as well as probably the axle shocks.  Worth it to just replace all to save your back. Also check your tire pressures up front, make sure they're the same.

Thank you!.. will do that this weekend..

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Mack milling said:

I have a Mack granite 2002 when the front left tire hits a bump it hits hard like I lost a tire in a pot hole. Air pressure is good feels like there’s nothing supporting it . Is that a front shock issue if so is it hard to change?

If in doubt about shockers, just change them as they are pretty cheap and they do make quite a difference on the front axle 

Paul