Dump Body design ideas

Hey guys, I've started to fabricate my own dump body for some of my mack granites, for the most part I am happy with the design ive drawn up using Fusion 360, ive included a render. I'm going to start fabricating these boxes for friends and family that have dump trucks as well as reach out to local truckers. My question to you guys that have been in the business a long time and are currently in the business is what kind of features would you like to see in a modern dump body design? I have an electrical engineering and mechanical background so no idea is too crazy to make happen in my opinion. Some of the ideas I have include tilt sensors for alarms during dumping in case the incline gets too much, cameras on the back and sides (for when you activate turn signal switch or reverse you can get video feed for better view). A dual acting hinge for side swing or conventional opening. Currently making these out of 1/4" mild steel with a semi round bottom. 

I want to tailor my design around safety, and to me one of the sketchiest things about maintenance is blocking the dump body when its in the air to remove the hoist when its time to change. even though you can have it pretty secure i would rather avoid that all together. Maybe a design that allows the removal of the hoist while the bed is all the way down would be a safer alternative. 

Any ideas that you guys might come up with are appreciated.

Thanks.

Main_Bed_V2_2020-Aug-16_09-38-55PM-000_CustomizedView14116635104.jpg

• Like 1

Use AR steel, getting my bed made out of AR450 was the best thing we've done.  5 years of use and no dents dings or scratches in the body, aside from paint the bed still looks brand new.  1/4" on the floor and 3/16" on the side.  She's a little heavy, but there is nothing I can't or won't haul with it.  Also a high-lift gate.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, j hancock said:

I am not in the dump truck trade but your idea about swapping cylinders and leaving the box down sounds like a good idea to me!

I've thought of this before, because really the space in the bed that is built around the dog house of the cylinder is wasted space that is only good for collecting dirt and asphalt.  Why not start the bed after the hoist and build bolt in toolboxes to fill the space that could be hinged to swing out of the way to get to the cylinder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OldRedMack said:

I've thought of this before, because really the space in the bed that is built around the dog house of the cylinder is wasted space that is only good for collecting dirt and asphalt.  Why not start the bed after the hoist and build bolt in toolboxes to fill the space that could be hinged to swing out of the way to get to the cylinder.

I never understood why dumps have one single cylinder right in the middle, i know the pros and cons but Its all the same style. For one the stability when you're in bumpy terrain and you dump and have to move forward that bed rocks back and forth and i just cringe. Ive thought of several ideas, i always think back to having dual cylinder design with them mounted at the front corners, and the front edge of the box rounded off, just eliminates the 90 degree bends and the dog house all together. 2 smaller cylinders to share the load would cause less stress, but more moving parts, its all a delicate balance lol.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JoeH said:

Where will tilt sensors mount? Ever dump a load with worn out hinges and the load is stuck up in one corner while you're on a sideways incline?

Inclinometers can be mounted at the front and rear of the chassis. The delta value would give you the chassis flex if any can really help monitor and see what your chassis is doing, additionally they can be placed at the rears of the box itself, heading and tilt can give you enough information to make sound decisions as a driver when your dumping your load.

What I have seen with the multi cylinder inside the frame is, with a heavy load like a triaxle  would run, is that the push goes back before it goes up. Continuous cycling will slowly cause rear hinge/hinge pin problems

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

10 hours ago, JoeH said:

Multiple cylinders = more weight. 

For dumping/driving on a sideways incline on an air ride truck, I've wondered about having the air bags being able to be dumped on one side or the other to give it a bias towards staying level.

I would imagine it is possible and a great idea, I see an issue with the frame twisting though, since the front axles wont have the same control.