51 LJ Parts Needed

Hello everyone in Mack land!! I am new to the site but an old Mack lover at heart. I have recently acquired a 1951 LJ and am interested in any parts that anyone wants to part with. I desperately need a driver side front fender for starters but I’d like to start collecting whatever I can find for it so I can use the best of the best to make it as nice as possible. If you have or know of anyone that has anything give me a shout! Thank you all for your time!!!

• Like 1

First of all there were multiple styles of L-model fenders. Putting aside LT ones which are completely different there were (at least) two mods of the commercial L-model (mostly LF and LJ) fenders  - for the standart and for the longer hood. The latter was used with Cummins engines I belive and maybe for other applications. You could see a kind of extensions closer to the grill or bumper mountings at them. Another story is firetruck fenders. Those seem could be found in a very good condition but they wouldn't work on a commercial truck. Firetrucks also had two different styles - early and late. The early ones are difficult to missmatch since they have special dropped shape. But the later ones look very close to the commercial fenders in general. Regardless that they were supposed to be used with 9.00-20 wheels so the arch is smaller and the overall fender shell is deeper. My first thought was to cut the edge over the arch to make it the commercial style but investigating further I found out the firetrucks had different hood sides (shorter near the cab) and the line where the fender touches that side panel lays higher. The reason as I discovered was "fatter" area of the fender where it comes to the hood side, cab front lower corner and also the front of running board. So seemed like no way using firetruck fenders withough sufficient butchering or wrong look.

There were also fenders of heavier (mostly LM) series trucks which were of simplified shapes but those are easy to determine. Easy when you see them yourself but a person who would offer them to you might be of no such idea keeping in mind.

Vlad

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 3 weeks later...

That was great information and thank you! I am needing the LJ fenders with the extension for the Cummins engine. I have 2 pair but need more work than I would like to put into them. If anyone knows of a good set let me know. Thank you all for the help and info!!!!

51 minutes ago, terry said:

did these happen to come out of Kansas City?   terry

Those ended u at Truck Wholesale in Wellsville.  I tried to buy them before they got auctioned,they brought half what I'd offered him,but I couldn't get into the damn online auction to bid.

1 hour ago, B815SX said:

I Need To Rebuild 864 Mack V-8 Engine Parts Are Very Scarce Any Thing Interchangeable Or Any One Have Any Parts For Sale Thanks

Hi welcome to BMT see your a newbie. I would suggest to start a new post with a topic that you choose. It is hard to help you if your post is in someone else's that has nothing to do with you want to talk about. Plus it distracts from the topic.

I had a few 864's, 20 years ago and found that even then parts were hard to get and no one works on the rotary pumps anymore around here. When my B-755 was restored a 866 replaces the 864. Parts were available to rebuild the 865/866, back then. I don't think that would be a option now because of no parts for them as well. Maybe think of repowering with an E6. More torque, HP, reliability and parts are still available. Even a 237 would run circles around an 864.

There is a set of std rod bearings on Ebay for an 864 for some time now.

• Like 1

Thanks For The Info I’m Buying All The Bearing On EBay Need Sleeve And O-Ring,Piston Rings And Headgasket Part #s Have Old Sleeve To Patch Up Want to Keep Original If I Have #s Might Be Able To Find Some Parts O- Rings Most Important Talk To Olson For Headgaskets  Thanks Again For Information 

Thanks For The Info I’m Buying All The Bearing On EBay Need Sleeve And O-Ring,Piston Rings And Headgasket Part #s Have Old Sleeve To Patch Up Want to Keep Original If I Have #s Might Be Able To Find Some Parts O- Rings Most Important Talk To Olson For Headgaskets 

2 hours ago, B815SX said:

Thanks For The Info I’m Buying All The Bearing On EBay Need Sleeve And O-Ring,Piston Rings And Headgasket Part #s Have Old Sleeve To Patch Up Want to Keep Original If I Have #s Might Be Able To Find Some Parts O- Rings Most Important Talk To Olson For Headgaskets 

Darton Sleeves may be your best bet, they made custom sleeves for one of my engines that a piston failed . Total Seal may make rings. Headgaskets?? Hard to find 20 years ago, Good Luck. I would not worry about originality if any parts are available at all.

• Like 1