Best year E7

Bliue dm

6 hours ago, HeavyHaulinMac said:

I think someone said 2002 was best a while back, don't know why. I have an 02 350hp with 300k and the thing is mint. Will probably blow up tomorrow because I said that lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

In the late 2001, 2002 and early 2003 Mack had figured out most of the base engine issues. When Tier III hit in mid 2003 it was more emissions and other issues to hash out with emissions. 

The mid year 1998 1/2 E-Tech engine intro was also a good showing. 

It depends on the type of engine you're looking for if you are looking for just a mechanical P-pump engine the 1994 E7-400 is your best bet but if you're looking for something newer any E-Tec engine in between 99 and 02 would also be a really good choice. Personally I have a 1995 CH with the E7-400 with a V-MAC pump on it and it's coming up on a million miles and hasn't had a major overhaul done on it. The problem with the 93 to 97 E7's is that they had weak oil pumps and ran low oil pressure so if you bought a truck within that year range I would recommend replacing the oil pump and doing rods and mains if it hasn't been done yet.

• Like 1

I brought a 97 E7 400 with a 12 spd. Seems to make good oil preasure. Its a semi electric motor. Still bosch type pump with electric throttle.  Runs ok. Nothing like our 03 E7 400. Those models are also making 30psi in boost were mine seems to make no more than 25psi.... Is there anything that changed big internally through the years besides oil pump? If i were to open motor for rebuild is there anything i would want to upgrade? 

Edited by Bliue dm
  • Thanks 1

That’s a million mile base engine if you properly maintain it. Arguably the best PLN engine Mack made. 

In their time a very reliable motor, now add 23 years later........mmmm, gremlins we never saw could arise in the aging of its electronics, sensing, low sulfur diesel, etc. I’d buy one though. Smooth power, nice idle, softer than the E-Tech by far. 

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, david wild said:

I thought the e techs replaced the E7 so how can you have a 2000 or newer E7 ??? did they make both at the same time ?

The e tech is an e7 I believe.

Block and components, displacement, all pretty much the same, just modified right side of the block to accommodate fuel gallery, eup's and additional cam lobes for eup's.

Good to know.. listen the old girl fires right up. Little ticking coming from back side of motor. (Really sounds like a valve). Seems to burn clean. Haven't loaded her yet. ( hauler qualifications are ridiculous) but hopefully next week we will be running

Edited by Bliue dm