Kodak Shifts Into Drug Production With Help of $765 Million U.S. Loan

kscarbel2

The Wall Street Journal. /. July 28, 2020

Eastman Kodak Co. has won a $765 million government loan under the Defense Production Act, the first of its kind. The purpose: to help expedite domestic production of drugs that can treat a variety of medical conditions and loosen the U.S. reliance on foreign sources.

Having lived in Rochester in  the early 70's what a gorilla it was.  It was my  first "command" as a terminal manager and a lot of my older guys were of the WW II generation.  They were "lifers" with a stock ownership plan, pension plan and other great benefits but Kodak had some sort of profit sharing plan that I don't quite remember the details of but once a year they would make a huge lump sum payout to the employees and you can imagine what that did to the Rochester area economy.  And when it came out some of my guys would start with the..."I should have gone with Kodak when I got out"...and I under my breath would say in some cases.."and I too wish you had"😎.  Kodak WAS Rochester.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

Kodak went from a low of $2.13 a share on Monday, July 27th, to a high of $60.00 on Wednesday, July 29th.

Hmnn-sounds like the making of a 60 Minutes story!  So who had wind this golden goose was about to lay an egg?  In any case an American Icon-I too hope they go gang busters- as well as Corning Glass.  By the way- my job before Rochester?  I was at Refinery/lube plant/distribution  facility in Buffalo.  T.alk about industry.  At least 3 bulk lube trailers delivering industrial lubes every day, about 6 box trailers delivering TBA plus drum/120 pounders and case goods and about 8 5 axle units on gas/diesel/jet.  Industrial Western NY!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Hmnn-sounds like the making of a 60 Minutes story!  So who had wind this golden goose was about to lay an egg?

On Tuesday, July 28, the White House tweeted:

"We have reached a historic deal with @Kodak to begin producing critical pharmaceutical ingredients right here in America!"

And the stock lifted off, peaking the next day, July 29.

I myself don't think the executive branch of the US government, nor any other branch, should communicate via Twitter.

(For the record, I don't participate in any so-called social media including Twitter and Facebook).

Daily Mail  /  July 31, 2020

Kodak CEO Jim Continenza was awarded 1.75 million stock options one day before the Trump administration announced a $765 million loan to develop generic pharmaceuticals - sending stock prices soaring and netting the CEO a potential $30 million profit.

CEO Jim Continenza and three other top Kodak executives were awarded stock options that included the right to buy Kodak stock at $3.03, $4.53, $6.03, and $12 per share until February 2026.

According to filings obtained by the Popular Information newsletter, Continenza was the primary beneficiary, having been awarded 1.75 million options.

Most of those options - 981,707 shares - were purchased at a stock price of $3.03 per share.

Continenza was also awarded options at $4.53, purchasing nearly 300,000 shares.

MarketWatch  /  August 3, 2020

Shares of Eastman Kodak tumbled 24% in afternoon trading Monday, putting them on track for a third-straight double-digit percentage decline, after the company, which is getting into the pharmaceuticals ingredients business, disclosed that holders of convertible notes were exercising their right to convert notes into common stock.

Kodak stock has now dropped 50% since skyrocketing 16-fold in three days to $33.20 on July 29, after the Trump administration announced on July 28 that Kodak received a $765 million loan, as part of a Defense Production Act directive to loosen the reliance on foreign sources for pharmaceutical ingredients.

In an 8-K filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday, Kodak said the holders of the 5.00% convertible notes due 2021, which were issued in May 2019, are converted a total of $95 million of the notes into 29.9 million shares of Kodak common stock, on July 29. That would imply a value of $3.175 per converted share, while the stock was currently trading at $16.58.

On July 27, Kodak granted CEO James Continenza options to buy Kodak stock at various strike prices, which are now all in the money, to "protect" him from dilution of his share holdings, in case the convertible debt issued in May 2019 were converted into stock.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

With a $765 million government loan under the Defense Production Act, it's a whole new ballgame.

I gotta say, the idea of expediting domestic drug production is a game-changer, especially in times like these. Lessening our reliance on foreign sources for essential meds is something I've always believed in.

Now, speaking of shifting gears, if you're ever looking to explore alternative health options or have questions, I've got a suggestion. You might want to check out Releaf for a cannabis card. I got mine through them, and it's been a game-changer for my health journey. Check them out at https://releaf.co.uk/medical-cannabis-card if you're curious.

Edited by LiamHendersonLiamHenderson