Volvo discontinues ISL-powered Mack MHD

kscarbel2

Introduced in 2011 but never promoted, Volvo's Mack-branded Granite MHD (medium/heavy duty) is being discontinued.

Without ever being properly promoted, or priced appropriately for its target customer base, MHD sales have been abysmal throughout its production run.

The MHD was supposed to be a cheaper Granite, equipped with the 8.9L Cummins ISL, to gain greater sales with municipalities and other price-sensitive operators.

The MHD was simply a Granite with a marginally cheaper engine. It was not purpose-designed for it's mission, like Kenworth's T370 and International's HV (formerly WorkStar) which were.

The new Mack MD series medium truck is not available with a tandem bogie, and is powered by the small Cummins 6.7L ISB unsuitable for many medium/heavy duty requirements. Hence, Mack dealers will have to rely on their other brands to meet customer demand for 6x4 chassis in this space.

Photo 3.jpg

Daimler and Navistar's pricing in this sector is ruthless, they will actually quote a stripped down tandem with a B series, bench seats, and barely enough of everything else to get it slowly down the road. Volvo should have got serious if they wanted to play in that low ball league or stayed out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Maxidyne said:

Daimler and Navistar's pricing in this sector is ruthless, they will actually quote a stripped down tandem with a B series, bench seats, and barely enough of everything else to get it slowly down the road. Volvo should have got serious if they wanted to play in that low ball league or stayed out.

Like everything else ! mother Volvo screwed up the Heavy haul now the light haul ! Middle ground is all that's left! Oh well I predicted the mack Brand would RIP after the tenth year And we still going ! I was wrong !  even thou the mack cab is really all that's left, the brand is still here , However shallow it may be! Might see another ten years who knows?Once the cab changes that will be the END! Parts are drying up for the old stuff and even the newer stuff!Tough to predict the End  BUT Its coming unless Scania or some one  buys in ! Highly unlikely as The Volvo influence Is Deeply ingrained From the parts system down or up whichever way you want to look at it! 😡

It would not surprise me if the MD medium is cancelled right out of the gate. Volvo is far too late, that segment is already full. Remember, they're renting the plant in a low-buck way that allows them to quickly and cheaply walk away. There's zero commitment to the MD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Can you get a Cummins B in a tandem?  I though Cummins wouldn't let OEM's do that.

1 hour ago, RoadwayR said:

Can you get a Cummins B in a tandem?  I though Cummins wouldn't let OEM's do that.

One of the Freightliner dealers in their 2020 bid to MN DOT offered the M2 6x4 chassis with a Cummins B7 base engine rated at 250HP and 660 Torque!

• Like 1

I'll bet F'n Volvo will have a model to fill the MHD slot just like they filled the heavy haul slot. Seems like Mack is always the whipping boy.  Do they ever cut any fat out of the Volvo lineup? Stop buying Volvo's and let them exit the US. The only positive in this long drawn out scenario is that they couldn't kill off Autocar , thanks to the Feds. Diamond-T(bye bye- White road kill)! White (bye bye)! GMC heavy (bye bye) ! White GMC (bye bye)!  And Mack is in a paralyzed coma ,all but brain dead , waiting for Volvo to buy coffin nails. Now on the brighter side -Mack employees are still working helping to keep Macungie and Hagerstown alive.

Edited by james j neiweem
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 41180 said:

I wonder if the isl could fit in the md series then just add tandem axles ,could be the plan ?

Mack NA need to take a leaf (or 2) out of Mack Australia's Book..

https://www.macktrucks.com.au/trucks/metro-liner/

https://img06.en25.com/Web/VolvoAUS/{a5dc5c98-61a5-4997-b9a6-a011e9448066}_metroliner_vocational.pdf

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Most of the mack plow trucks i know in municipalities and state trucks have mp7 and even mp8 . Alot of towns are getting high hp motors now. Our town has a freightliner with a dd13 470hp. I know another town that has a western star with a 505 dd13 . My couzin used to drive a mack granite plow truck with a 405 mp7.

Smaller engines work fine. As it has been for decades, it's all about gearing. Plus there's the torque multiplication effect benefit with Allison-equipped trucks. Plow trucks don't require high speed capability, but rather low speed grunt. Larger engines do obviously offer even greater performance, but they aren't a necessity.

A lot of the rural counties pull pup trailers with their plow trucks during the construction season. Here in Minnesota they can run at up to 90,000 pounds with a 3 axle pup behind a tandem truck, so 11-13 liter engines with 400 or more horsepower makes sense.

• 1 year later...

Not Mack’s anymore. 6 speed Maxidynes ran for ever very little trouble. We used them hard in WVa hauling coal.  Slower but went daily cheap too. Volvo components a joke to maxi torque transmission and camel back springs. Not to mention Maxidyne engine 

• Like 1