Low boost with Switchblade turbo

880joe

I have a 99 CH with a 355/380 just replaced heads and put on the switchblade turbo,full tilt exhaust manifold and rochester 2.5 injectors now I'm only getting alot of smoke and only about 20lbs of boost. Before the head job I was running full tilt manifold 75hp K&S injectors and a 460 non waste gated turbo and would get some smoke and around 30lbs of boost. Any ideas or thoughts where I went wrong

Found 2 holes in the fresh air line from intake to air compressor,charge air cooler tested good. Not put the new line on yet but the holes on the old appear to have been there for a while so not sure that that is all my issue.

Yea I'd like to know also? Haven't heard much on the switch blade as far as macks go you're the 1st. Only other thing i would suggest is the 171702 (bw s475) we run that turbo with 42 psi. Bit leggy on the bottom but once she spools it's off to the races with rochester's stg 2 on 93 vmac 1. Soon to be fully mech

11 hours ago, 880joe said:

Not sure why it didn't work. It's  a BW 171702 turbo that starts out with a smaller than 115 housing then is supposed to open up to the 132 at 8lbs of boost.

Opening all the way at only 8psi seems like the problem in my mind at least.   Seems like it shouldn't go full on till 20-25psi.  

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

The guys at Switchblade Turbo built me a new turbo supposed to be correct size. They said the other one was to big still don't know why the 171702 Borg Warner was to big for my engine when I've heard of numorus others running that same set up. Will update after I get it put on and see how it performs.

Glad to hear they are taking care of it.  Hope the next version works well.

There is a Youtube channel (Jpaydirt)that has put a couple of those turbos on his Cat powered KW and 1693 powered equipment and really likes them.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

880Joe, did you ever get the switchblade on and working? Im curious about one

On 3/11/2022 at 6:35 PM, Onyx610 said:

Start with getting an air filter and a filter kit (should be done anyway) and then put a load on it and see what happens. If you still have the same results pressure test the charge air system and check for exhaust leaks. 

I never did put the new replacement on and try it. It's just a 2500 dollar dirt dobbers home at the moment. I need to get it put on and try it some day when I have a short haul so I'm not changing a turbo in a truckstop parking lot if it doesn't work again.

I’ve been contemplating trying one on my granite, what size turbo is yours based off of? I have a S467 on mine and it takes 2 gears from a stop to get it spooled up, 3rd gets me high teens, 4th gets me mid 30s. I really want to try one, but kinda leery now, your the only one that ive heard of with one on a Mack 

(225)266-6350 talk/text if you get time one day