Military aluminum diesel fuel storage tank

Deere Mack

I've got a 550 gal military storage tank I use to store diesel.  I have it filled about twice a month so it doesn't stay in there long. I've been using it for about the past 3 years.  This year is started doing something a little weird at the lid where you raise to fill it.  Its got a very fluffy powder like substance and it seems to have accelerated corrosion setting in.  Any ideas?

20191125_135031.jpg

20191125_135102.jpg

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Salt?

Not sure, maybe I can talk my neighbor into tasting it..lol  The tank was clean when i got  it, then I washed it out with a brush and water before I put it to use, no chemicals.  I keep a lock on it too.  My fuel man says he's never seen anything like it.  I'm a little worried if a 10 micron filter will catch it.

• Haha 1

It has always sit right on the edge of an awning and only gets wet in a blowing rain.  That green circle on the lid is a vent and I'm not for sure what the bigger contraption hanging down is.  That seems to be where the mystery powder is born. All the brass parts have turned green, but I'm thinking that's normal.

20191127_095826.jpg

The green is because brass has copper in it.  Iron oxidizes red, (rust), aluminum typically forms a hard protective layer when it oxidizes, though if there's something else going on, i.e. chemically or electrically induced oxidation, it will make that white powder. It's the aluminum oxidizing.  Copper oxidizes green. That's what you're seeing on the brass.

Does the tank have a plug on the bottom? How much water is in the bottom of the tank?

38 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The green is because brass has copper in it.  Iron oxidizes red, (rust), aluminum typically forms a hard protective layer when it oxidizes, though if there's something else going on, i.e. chemically or electrically induced oxidation, it will make that white powder. It's the aluminum oxidizing.  Copper oxidizes green. That's what you're seeing on the brass.

Does the tank have a plug on the bottom? How much water is in the bottom of the tank?

37 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Iron and aluminum don't get along....

exactly why i suggested looking for where a zinc anode was. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

That contraption on the lid may be an anode/electrode of some type.  I know that single bolt on the lid is steel/iron and I had to use black steel pipe for the suction tube but I bought aluminum and stainless for everything else.

I removed the gravity valve from the bottom and welded a plate over it but it still has the drain plug. I don't think I have much water in it. I use a water separator filter and I've never seen water in it.  My suction tube is probably an inch or two off the bottom.  The weird thing is it just started over the past few months. I went a good 2 1/2 years with no trouble. 

I would check the PH in the fuel, the refinery or who ever supplies it to your source may be adding chemicals to the fuel to dispose of it. Only takes a micro percentage to cause the issues. Also a ground set up from tank to ground would be an easy check. Static electricity is a possibility.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My supplier sent me this from Bell Performance Fuel.  here is the article

Diesel Fuel Tank Corrosion: A New Culprit

Bell Performance

diesel fuel tank corrosionEver since the EPA mandated the introduction of ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD), fueling stations and stored fuel users have been consistently reporting new cases of corrosion in their storage tanks. According to the results of the latest surveys, ethanol contamination in diesel fuel may be to blame.

On June 1, 2006, the sulfur content of ULSD was reduced from 500 parts-per-million (ppm) in low sulfur diesel (LSD) to 15 ppm in ULSD. One consequence of the reduced sulfur content was the creation of a more favorable environment for microbes and bacteria to develop and thrive.  This problem is in addition to other known trade-offs to ULSD like increased costs (a few cents more per gallon), 1- to 2-percent less energy, and decreased lubricity requiring the use of additives (or the addition of biodiesel). In addition, the refining process that removes the sulfur also removes high-energy aromatics, which corresponds to a 1- to 2-percent increase in fuel consumption. However, what surprised many analysts were the reported instances of accelerated corrosion in storage tanks and dispensing equipment in as little as six months. 

The Findings of an Independent Study

In response to industry concerns about the unexplained accelerated corrosion, the Petroleum Equipment Institute surveyed the diesel fuel industry to identify the issues with systems storing and dispensing ULSD. Their survey revealed sporadic problems occurring in all regions of the country, regardless of the age of the equipment. As a result, the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance (CDFA) was formed, which includes the American Petroleum Institute, Ford Motor Co., the National Association of Convenience Stores, the National Association of Truck Stop Operators, Petroleum Equipment Institute, Petroleum Marketers Association of America, Association of American Railroads, and Steel Tank Institute. The CDFA funded an independent research project by Battelle Memorial Institute to investigate corrosion in systems storing and dispensing ULSD.

The study’s conclusions were announced Sept. 5, 2012, in a 146-page report entitled, “Corrosion in Systems Storing and Dispensing Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD), Hypotheses Investigation.” The Battelle study sampled six sites nationwide that reported accelerated corrosion in ULSD systems. Samples from the six sites were analyzed for the presence of a variety of contaminants and possible contributors. According to the report, among other contaminants, acetic acid was found at all sites from a variety of samples (fuel, water bottoms, vapor, and corrosion scrapings). In addition, the Battelle report stated that ethanol was unexpectedly identified and measured at five of the six sites, along with acetobacter microorganisms, in the majority of water bottom samples. The Battelle report hypothesized that the acetic acid is likely produced by acetobacter feeding on low levels of ethanol contamination. The report further identified this as the most likely cause of the corrosion. The report states, “The source of the ethanol is unknown; however, diesel fuel is often delivered in the same trucks as ethanol-blended gasoline. Also, some underground storage tanks for storing ULSD, which have been converted from gasoline tanks could have manifolded ventilation systems with gasoline tanks. Thus, it is  possible that there be some cross contamination of ethanol into ULSD.”

However, this hypothesis has drawn criticism from the ethanol industry. It points out that, under normal, everyday storage and handling conditions, ethanol should never come into contact with diesel fuel since ethanol is a gasoline additive. It also said that none of the six sites sampled included manifolded ventilation systems.

These critics also point out that Battelle’s report drew its conclusions from a very small sample set. In addition, the Renewable Fuels Association (representing the ethanol industry) was not included in the investigation and not given an opportunity to provide feedback.

It is too early to draw definitive conclusions on how ULSD tanks are being contaminated with ethanol or why accelerated corrosion occurs in some ULSD tanks while other ULSD tanks remain largely unaffected.

What’s the Next Step For Diesel Users?

The CDFA is currently deciding whether to move forward with further research. The Battelle report recommends additional research be focused on samples from a larger, more diverse set of underground storage tanks over a period of time. The study would sample and monitor ULSD tank systems with and without accelerated corrosion events and investigate the possible source of ethanol contamination.

There continues to be many unanswered questions. More research by the industry is needed to reach a definitive conclusion. In the meantime, fueling stations and diesel users who are being impacted by this corrosion problem may need to turn to fuel stability additives like Dee-Zol Life and Dee-Zol to negate the performance issues that this problem will inevitably bring.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

11 hours ago, 41chevy said:

My supplier sent me this from Bell Performance Fuel.  here is the article

Diesel Fuel Tank Corrosion: A New Culprit

Bell Performance

diesel fuel tank corrosionEver since the EPA mandated the introduction of ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD), fueling stations and stored fuel users have been consistently reporting new cases of corrosion in their storage tanks. According to the results of the latest surveys, ethanol contamination in diesel fuel may be to blame.

On June 1, 2006, the sulfur content of ULSD was reduced from 500 parts-per-million (ppm) in low sulfur diesel (LSD) to 15 ppm in ULSD. One consequence of the reduced sulfur content was the creation of a more favorable environment for microbes and bacteria to develop and thrive.  This problem is in addition to other known trade-offs to ULSD like increased costs (a few cents more per gallon), 1- to 2-percent less energy, and decreased lubricity requiring the use of additives (or the addition of biodiesel). In addition, the refining process that removes the sulfur also removes high-energy aromatics, which corresponds to a 1- to 2-percent increase in fuel consumption. However, what surprised many analysts were the reported instances of accelerated corrosion in storage tanks and dispensing equipment in as little as six months. 

The Findings of an Independent Study

In response to industry concerns about the unexplained accelerated corrosion, the Petroleum Equipment Institute surveyed the diesel fuel industry to identify the issues with systems storing and dispensing ULSD. Their survey revealed sporadic problems occurring in all regions of the country, regardless of the age of the equipment. As a result, the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance (CDFA) was formed, which includes the American Petroleum Institute, Ford Motor Co., the National Association of Convenience Stores, the National Association of Truck Stop Operators, Petroleum Equipment Institute, Petroleum Marketers Association of America, Association of American Railroads, and Steel Tank Institute. The CDFA funded an independent research project by Battelle Memorial Institute to investigate corrosion in systems storing and dispensing ULSD.

The study’s conclusions were announced Sept. 5, 2012, in a 146-page report entitled, “Corrosion in Systems Storing and Dispensing Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD), Hypotheses Investigation.” The Battelle study sampled six sites nationwide that reported accelerated corrosion in ULSD systems. Samples from the six sites were analyzed for the presence of a variety of contaminants and possible contributors. According to the report, among other contaminants, acetic acid was found at all sites from a variety of samples (fuel, water bottoms, vapor, and corrosion scrapings). In addition, the Battelle report stated that ethanol was unexpectedly identified and measured at five of the six sites, along with acetobacter microorganisms, in the majority of water bottom samples. The Battelle report hypothesized that the acetic acid is likely produced by acetobacter feeding on low levels of ethanol contamination. The report further identified this as the most likely cause of the corrosion. The report states, “The source of the ethanol is unknown; however, diesel fuel is often delivered in the same trucks as ethanol-blended gasoline. Also, some underground storage tanks for storing ULSD, which have been converted from gasoline tanks could have manifolded ventilation systems with gasoline tanks. Thus, it is  possible that there be some cross contamination of ethanol into ULSD.”

However, this hypothesis has drawn criticism from the ethanol industry. It points out that, under normal, everyday storage and handling conditions, ethanol should never come into contact with diesel fuel since ethanol is a gasoline additive. It also said that none of the six sites sampled included manifolded ventilation systems.

These critics also point out that Battelle’s report drew its conclusions from a very small sample set. In addition, the Renewable Fuels Association (representing the ethanol industry) was not included in the investigation and not given an opportunity to provide feedback.

It is too early to draw definitive conclusions on how ULSD tanks are being contaminated with ethanol or why accelerated corrosion occurs in some ULSD tanks while other ULSD tanks remain largely unaffected.

What’s the Next Step For Diesel Users?

The CDFA is currently deciding whether to move forward with further research. The Battelle report recommends additional research be focused on samples from a larger, more diverse set of underground storage tanks over a period of time. The study would sample and monitor ULSD tank systems with and without accelerated corrosion events and investigate the possible source of ethanol contamination.

There continues to be many unanswered questions. More research by the industry is needed to reach a definitive conclusion. In the meantime, fueling stations and diesel users who are being impacted by this corrosion problem may need to turn to fuel stability additives like Dee-Zol Life and Dee-Zol to negate the performance issues that this problem will inevitably bring.

That's a very interesting read.  I had ask my supplier about the possibility of bio fuel contamination but he said he doesn't deal with bio fuel what so ever. But I didn't think to ask him about ethanol contamination from gasoline.  I could see where that could easily happen somewhere down the line.  I really appreciate that info.  It concerns me because I have enough repair expense as is and if I can prevent failure in today's picky diesels, it'll be worth looking into.  Not willing to brush it off and move on just yet.  lol

NSN INFORMATION 5430-00-585-2529  I pulled the NSN report when I purchased the tank but that's all I've got.  I appreciate the help!

That NSN looks like it goes back to 1963 and was probably superseded but it looks like this should be the TM

https://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-4930-230-10-HR.pdf

This is the operators manual

https://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-10-4930-236-13-and-P.pdf

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quickfarms said:

That NSN looks like it goes back to 1963 and was probably superseded but it looks like this should be the TM

https://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-4930-230-10-HR.pdf

This is the operators manual

https://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-10-4930-236-13-and-P.pdf

A lot of information. I'll start by removing the big plastic contraption, that I now know is the vent and look for contaminants such as sand. Thanks a million!

11 hours ago, Deere Mack said:

That's a very interesting read.  I had ask my supplier about the possibility of bio fuel contamination but he said he doesn't deal with bio fuel what so ever. But I didn't think to ask him about ethanol contamination from gasoline.  I could see where that could easily happen somewhere down the line.  I really appreciate that info.  It concerns me because I have enough repair expense as is and if I can prevent failure in today's picky diesels, it'll be worth looking into.  Not willing to brush it off and move on just yet.  lol

I was told most likely from the refinery to the tank cars to the tanker trucks to the terminal than from the terminal to the distributors which in the end sell to your supplier. I was told all it takes is a tank car or tank trailer that delivered ethanol in bulk to have 50 or so  gallons in the bottom of the tanks or in the lines to taint the load of diesel.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE