Veterans Day

Remembrance day is what its called in Australia 

It really is quite impressive to see all people from all walks of life just stop work and gather and then return to work without a word been said 

I was googling before and according to Wikipedia the numbers of men lost in WW1 and also the percentage of the population is quite interesting 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties#Casualties_in_the_borders_of_1914–18

Well worth a look

Paul 

• Like 1

I was on Long Island at the Stoney Brook Vets home. My V.V.A group treated the residents and day care cases to dinners and a personal thanks. Hope that some one does that for me when I get older.

Not to rain on the parade but because of the V.A. policies and waiting lists 21 veterans (evenly split from Vietnam to now) commit suicide every day

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I was on Long Island at the Stoney Brook Vets home. My V.V.A group treated the residents and day care cases to dinners and a personal thanks. Hope that some one does that for me when I get older.

Not to rain on the parade but because of the V.A. policies and waiting lists 21 veterans (evenly split from Vietnam to now) commit suicide every day

I was only speaking to my mother about this very thing a week or so ago 

We dont do enough for veterans and their families 

We ask them to put it all on the line for a cause they might not even agree with but we are to lousy to put out our hands to help after the fighting is over

I only learnt my Grandfather who was in the RAAF although he was ground crew , he was a air frame fitter

I asked what that was as a child "when they come in like a colander I send em out like a bowl"

I never new until only days ago he was a fire fighter in the airforce as well, the memories of the burnt and mangled air crews haunted him to the day he died apparently 

As I said I only learnt this days ago

Most of us only think of the front line troops and the trauma they must suffer

I do wonder how far reaching this trama can be 

Paul

• Like 2