Replacing Eaton Autoshift with a Mack 10 or 13 speed in 01 Vision

irishflyer97

Hello,

I am looking at a 01 Vision, that has an Eaton Autoshift.  Not my favorite thing in the world.  I was wondering if to swap in a Mack 10 speed, or a 13/18, would I need an entire bellhousing, clutch system, shift rod, to make the switch? (Driveshaft mod is a given).  Another idea is on the Autoshift, to replace the top electronic cover with a manual stick and shift rails, as I don't think the ECM depended on the transmisions info to run properly.  Just wondering how crazy I might be thinking...lol...

Gen 1 Autoshift by the looks of it.  So, yep, clutch pedal present and accounted for.  My concern is does the bellhousing adapter for an Eaton setup utilize the same clutch rod setup, or do I just swap everything out?  I am thinking changing the top shifter box and disabling the auto's pcm would be the most cost effective to get going, and watch for a 18 speed donor truck. 

Fair point, but there are not alot of pre-emission Visions around that are in decent shape.  This truck also is within 8 hours of me, and happens to be about $10k less than anything else I have located to date.   I have some room to modify a bit.  Besides, I haven't seen a Vision with a Mack 18 speed ever, that I am aware of.  I am also pretty sure the early Autoshifts are still RTLO transmissions, just with an electronic shifting cover on it, that could be easily switched back to a manual 10 speed cover and stick.

A top cover and shifter parts can be had for about $400 bucks to convert it back to a manual.  Run a new air line from the box to the shifter, put a plate in the floor, add a boot, and pretty much done.  I have  been reading about it tonight, and found the original Gen 1 could be easily converted to manuals, a selling point to get fleets to try them out.

OK, talked to Tidwell Transmissions in Dallas, the big guru on these contraptions.  He states that the Gen 1 can be converted, it needs two holes tapped on the case to mount the high low, and the interlock pin boss needs sleeved and finished to do it right.  He has done some of them.  This is the Gen 1, not the later ones.  Cost could exceeed 1,000, so easier to get a used  FRO 10 speed and call it a day..lol.  Or, fjh thinking is the same as mine, a Mack 18 speed would look nice in there.  That might have to come later on.  But anyway, thats what I have found.

43 minutes ago, ws721 said:

Wow!!  So im in the wrong with the 6 trucks that are all 1993 or older that we have greatly modified to be better more efficient trucks for us?  Not to mention the modified trucks that we have sold.  Seems to me that if your paying for it you should have what works best for you.  My 1.6 million mile 26 yr old road tractor does a fine job. Its had many mod's done to it.  Very rarely does it go a day without at least 1 compliment.  If its man made it may fail someday. If its new electronic P.O.S. it WILL fail. And you most likely cant fix it on the side of the road to get ya home. Just my thoughts.  One of our 93's had a PEEK 3406C. The other 3406C is mechanical. I converted the PEEC to full mechanical pump. Twice the truck now.  My 83 Mack still goes trucking during the summer.  The E9 gets @ 6.1 MPG.  Each to their own but im with "The King Of Obsolete".  Hope im not too opinionated, just wanted to add my 2 cents

nope i say your right on the money

• Like 1

11 hours ago, irishflyer97 said:

Well, I ended up finding a 2000 CH613 that will work better.  It has a Super 10, a step up from the Gen 1 Autoshift. 

I did notice that Super 10 RTLO1610B is the same length as a RTLO16913B and the 18 speed....🤔...😀

“A man with two transmissions never knows what gear he’s in.”

~Confucius 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, snowman_w900 said:

LMAO, now is that an opinion piece or an actual fact that has so much proof it can be backed up?

You're gonna have to have LOTS AND LOTS of proof to get most of us to agree or believe that statement you made.

Simple economics- A 10 year old truck is generally worth less on the market than an engine rebuild or major modification= It's cheaper to buy another truck!