Identifying a Wagner air service chamber from a B615

Jarrad

Can you help me identify this chamber?   It has no markings on it.  It was removed from the rear of 1965 Mack b615.  I have two on the truck that need to be fixed.  

Next question is, do I rebuild them or replace them?  

Thanks for the help!

20191108_134756[1].jpg

20191108_134808[2].jpg

20191108_134828[1].jpg

1 hour ago, terry said:

Believe they call them rotochambers, and very expensive I believe. most guys change them to a conventional brake can.    terry:MackLogo:

The rotochambers I've seen are in the $600 to $900 range. I'll have to figure something out on my truck because my old ones are rusted badly. They mount between the frame rail and tire so too snug for most chambers. Rob is switching his to a smaller chamber, a 16 or 24 I believe.

• Like 1

That is a Wagner "Power Amplfier" brake chamber. Not really worth working with citing cost. They are a series of sealing rings internally but the inner bore of the shell is a working part and corrodes. New sealing rings do not hold up long and the aluminum piston the rings seal to this bore scar through usage. They are 20 cubic inch rated as are the Bendix "Rotochamber" used on the B series Mack trucks, (up to about 40K rated suspensions). Both of these types brake chambers are much better served with modern replacement by Type "20" service chambers. Most anything but the 34K, (SWDL56) rear suspension in a B series will take larger, (Type 24/24) spring and service chamber brake cans, but the setup with aluminum brake spiders is limited to Type 20 per space constraints. One could fabricate offset mounts and use offset slack adjusters to install larger chambers, but until I read where that is legal to do, I'll stick with what I know will pass inspection. Far too many $$$ at stake and an enforcement officer's discretion of how many of those you are going to be pried free of to be questionable. 

On steer axle most tractors, and tandem trucks, "most" used Type 16, with single axle trucks using type 12 service chambers. That is no hard and fast rule, just what I've seen through the years of working with them.

The above mentioned only relates to the B series.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Here is a link to Haldex chambers and an explanation of them:  https://www.haldex.com/en/na/actuators/service-chamber-brakes-t09-through-t20/

These things are available all over the places and prices go from very inexpensive to exorbitant so shop around. If the truck is going to be used try to purchase something that is epoxy or powder coated to hold up to the effects of heat and corrosion. If a show truck or non working type you can use basically about anything out there. 

I have personally changed several chambers rusted through on working trucks that were the yellow cadmium plated and are available all over the internet.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have the schematics for the air system on the 65' B615?   Still struggling a bit.  I can get it to pass the pretrip air test.  The air compressor will pump up to 90-105 psi and I hear some air leaking out the Stemco auto drain.  I took it off the tank and the tank did not have any air in it.  The tank with the manual drain on it did have air. 

Thanks

J  

Finally I got it!!!!!  A bad Stemco Auto Drain.  It was malfunctioning in such a way that it seemed to be the governor or the unloader valve.  Once I put the unloader on shop air to control the compressor it helped a lot to diagnose.

Thanks!

J