U.S. Navy boat from Norfolk found floating off......Ireland

kscarbel2

These 26-foot Metal Shark "Relentless" based High Speed Maneuverable Surface Target (HSMST) boats, um.........they blow these up?  How much do they cost with twin Mercury's???

Wouldn't it be free, and equally effective, to blow up the similar sized pirate boats off Somalia?  Or the Iranian speed boats plaguing the international shipping channel in the Straight of Hormuz?

http://www.metalsharkboats.com/pdf/Relentless 26.pdf

https://www.workboat.com/archive/navy-orders-target-vessels-from-two-boatyards/

Photo 3.jpg

3 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

These 26-foot Metal Shark "Relentless" based High Speed Maneuverable Surface Target (HSMST) boats, um.........they blow these up?  How much do they cost with twin Mercury's???

Wouldn't it be free, and equally effective, to blow up the similar sized pirate boats off Somalia?  Or the Iranian speed boats plaguing the international shipping channel in the Straight of Hormuz?

Photo 3.jpg

Except that the Irani speed boats now mount a brace of SAFAR  laser and GPS guided anti shipping missiles that they can launch at speed.  We're going to need something higher tech like  Metal Storm System. 36 barrel system capable of from 600 to 1 million rounds per minute.  We don't want it .

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Photo 3.jpg

I hate to see our government wasting money, but when it comes to the military I keep my mind open and my mouth shut until I know all of the facts. How much of a price tag do you want to place on our freedom, and the safety of our troops? These 26-foot Metal Shark "Relentless" based High Speed Maneuverable Surface Target (HSMST) don't shoot back like the Somali's and Iranians so I fully support the Navy practicing until everything they do is FIRST nature. It is very easy to sit here and state our military "KILLS PEOPLE AND DESTROYS THINGS" well they do plenty more and they do it better than any military in the history of the world and I am very thankful for the very difficult and hard work they do. So next time you want to make an off the cuff comment about our military please do as my father always preached to me "ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN GEAR"

19 hours ago, Prowrench said:

I hate to see our government wasting money, but when it comes to the military I keep my mind open and my mouth shut until I know all of the facts. How much of a price tag do you want to place on our freedom, and the safety of our troops? These 26-foot Metal Shark "Relentless" based High Speed Maneuverable Surface Target (HSMST) don't shoot back like the Somali's and Iranians so I fully support the Navy practicing until everything they do is FIRST nature. It is very easy to sit here and state our military "KILLS PEOPLE AND DESTROYS THINGS" well they do plenty more and they do it better than any military in the history of the world and I am very thankful for the very difficult and hard work they do. So next time you want to make an off the cuff comment about our military please do as my father always preached to me "ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN GEAR"

You're right, that's a nice center console. I wonder what size Mercury engines are on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

i wonder what those boats cost? 

The "each" price is buried.....they don't want you to easily know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOVEMBER 22, 2013 — Silver Ships Inc., Theodore, Ala. (N00024-14-D-2205) and Gravois Aluminum Boats LLC, doing business as Metal Shark Aluminum Boats LLC, Jeanerette, La. (N00024-14-D-2207), are each being awarded separate firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity (IDIQ) multiple award contracts for the construction of high speed maneuverable surface target boats (HSMSTs). The U.S. Navy maintains an inventory of HSMSTs to be utilized mainly for weapon system test and evaluation and fleet training exercises at nine seaborne target operating activities.

This effort also includes trailers, shipping cradles and spares for a total estimated ceiling value of $48 million for both awards. Silver Ships Inc., is being awarded $11,683,129, and Gravois Aluminum Boats LLC is being awarded $13,782,379.

Work will be performed in Theodore, AL, and Jeanerette, LA, and work is expected to be completed by November 2018. Fiscal 2013 other procurement, Navy contract funds in the amount of $25,465,508 will be obligated at the time of award and will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This contract was competitively solicited as a small business set aside via the Federal Business Opportunities website, with six offers received. The Naval Sea Systems Command, Washington, D.C., is the contracting activity.

https://www.marinelog.com/news/silver-ships-metal-shark-get-target-boat-contracts/

You ever get the creeping feeling we stay in our military occupations like Afghanistan so the military can continually freshen and play with new stuff on a live field? 

I went to the peace museum in Hiroshima and saw the monitor tubes we dropped on them before lighting off Little Boy. In a showcase. The military dropped the little transparent tubes around the outside of the city. They were about the size of a large coffee thermos. You could see they had little crude devices to record pressure, temp, time, etc. U.S. didn’t want to miss the opportunity to make it a laboratory. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

You ever get the creeping feeling we stay in our military occupations like Afghanistan so the military can continually freshen and play with new stuff on a live field? 

I went to the peace museum in Hiroshima and saw the monitor tubes we dropped on them before lighting off Little Boy. In a showcase. The military dropped the little transparent tubes around the outside of the city. They were about the size of a large coffee thermos. You could see they had little crude devices to record pressure, temp, time, etc. U.S. didn’t want to miss the opportunity to make it a laboratory. 

Having been on the shooting end using using both   U.S. and IDF hardware, you really don't want to put your nuts on the line with something un proven, un tested and made by the lowest bidder The combat testing in the end saves soldier lives. Of course some weapon systems are odd, like the Ontos , the M551 and an APC that was safer riding on the out side. We even got that with the early M16's.  Was not a confidence builder seeing  Mattel inside the stock. I carried a 870 an a 1911A1.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

We are blessed to be the strongest country in the world, and to be honest it has led my generation (I'm 30) to become soft, never having a major war involving our country completely.  I.E. Civil War, WWI & II all happened within 40-50 years since the previous war, affecting everyone in the country. It's been about 75+ years since WWII, and while we have had the Korean war, Vietnam War, Cold War, and War on Terror, my generation is the first in a long time to not have a Draft. I am genuinely priveleged and lucky to live in the "now" when we keep an active standing army continuously "training" overseas against live targets as Mack Tech pointed out. I have no doubt that this is a contributing reason we stay a Super Power, and I have no doubt that is intentional. Playing the world's police force also gives us an excuse to have our boys anywhere in the world at a moment's notice, which could be argued as unnecessary if one has "Isolationist" preferences regarding national actions.

i was a child during the war years. and got a deferment to being drafted until i got out of school. my number was pulled, but i did not have to go. then the draft ended three days before graduation so i got a pass. 

6 guys from my class that also got their number pulled did not use the deferment, and went off to vietnam, 5 did not came back alive. the 6th was so badly injured he committed suicide about 3 years later. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..