Open Cab CFs

CaptainCrutch

I know a few guys with open cab pumpers but to me it always made the most sense to have an open cab ladder truck so you have slightly more swing for the ladder, granted at an angle you’ll almost never use but the point is it allows more versatility for the ladder.

So that being said were any open cab CF aerial or ladder trucks ever made because I can’t find any info on them.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

from my understanding talking with new york city firefighters the open cab design was not for ladder swing, but rather for visibility in spotting the truck at fire scenes for best ladder use. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Point being an open cab is much more useful on a ladder truck than a regular pumper, yet all the open cab CFs I can find are pumpers. I’m just curious if any open cab CF ladder trucks were made or if the only open cab CFs were pumpers. I’m especially more interested in the tiller trucks because dad is starting to look at open cab tillers...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

There were 13 open-cab CF trucks built. 12 pumpers and one mid-mount aerial ladder, for Riverdale in Prince George's County, Md. It was later re-powered with a Detroit and the cab was enclosed. It is rumored to be in South Carolina somewhere sitting behind a fire station with a blown engine. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 2 weeks later...

My wife thinks I need a hearing aid at times. The Fire Service of today is quite different than that of the 60’/70’s, where we rode on the back-step or the side of a piece, seat belts weren’t present, ran into burning buildings with no SCBA-some even held a cigar between their teeth to filter the air, no hearing protection, never cleaned our gear-the dirtier it was indicated a badge of honor of how much smoke we ate or fire we fought. Geeze what were we thinking?

• Like 2

VaPatentman:  That's the way it was when I started my career but we were a little more advanced, we at least had all purpose masks. Rode and drove the "L" and "B" models.  

So far, the hearing is still good.

• Like 1