1988 nearly ready for paint.

This is what I just started in my other bay.  Gotta finish it for snow season!

It's getting new fenders, rockers, doors, cab corners, bed skins and I'll be sandblasting/painting the frame and axles too. It's treated me very well since I got it, now I'm just replacing rot so I can get another few years out of it.  (It's a 12v)

KIMG0479~2.JPG

• Like 2

JoeH  I had a97 and I had to replace both front fenders, the doors ,rockers, cab corners. I used the china crap panels I couldn't find any good ones near me, the fenders fit soso . The doors were another story the drivers fit pretty good but the other one drove me to fits. I used the truck for two more years and was happy to get rid of it. I had 118,000 miles on it and I changed the track bar twice, new ball joints, radiator, front axle seals, the headliner fell down had to get that fixed, two fuel pumps, two starters, rear spring hangers, gas tank straps, The cummins engine was great but the rest of the truck didn't impress me I had a 91 dodge cummins and I had better luck with that one. I used the trucks in my work and liked the 20 mile a gallon I got loaded with 3600 lbs on the flatbed. Now that I am retired I have a f150 ford to me it's a pisspoor excuse for a work truck but it drives pretty good.

3 hours ago, davehummell said:

JoeH  I had a97 and I had to replace both front fenders, the doors ,rockers, cab corners. I used the china crap panels I couldn't find any good ones near me, the fenders fit soso . The doors were another story the drivers fit pretty good but the other one drove me to fits. I used the truck for two more years and was happy to get rid of it. I had 118,000 miles on it and I changed the track bar twice, new ball joints, radiator, front axle seals, the headliner fell down had to get that fixed, two fuel pumps, two starters, rear spring hangers, gas tank straps, The cummins engine was great but the rest of the truck didn't impress me I had a 91 dodge cummins and I had better luck with that one. I used the trucks in my work and liked the 20 mile a gallon I got loaded with 3600 lbs on the flatbed. Now that I am retired I have a f150 ford to me it's a pisspoor excuse for a work truck but it drives pretty good.

This truck is a 97 also. It's up to 220k miles, original trans. Lots of towing and plowing.  Left fender fit well, next I'm putting the left door on before doing g the rocker and cab corner. Gotta do it all just right to get it all to blend together. 

My panels came from LMC truck, which gets them from Taiwan.  So far their metal seems good, but I bought plastic parts from them once. Never again. It's brittle and really cheap, as low quality as anything I've ever seen.

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

This truck is a 97 also. It's up to 220k miles, original trans. Lots of towing and plowing.  Left fender fit well, next I'm putting the left door on before doing g the rocker and cab corner. Gotta do it all just right to get it all to blend together. 

My panels came from LMC truck, which gets them from Taiwan.  So far their metal seems good, but I bought plastic parts from them once. Never again. It's brittle and really cheap, as low quality as anything I've ever seen.

I agree on the plastic stuff from LMC. Just did some on older Chevy truck for a guy; door panels were cheap & brittle junk, he got his dash from I think classic truck or something; same junk.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of runs on the back of the cab, and the roof didn't get sanded down well enough so I expect to see some paint flaking on the roof at some point, but it is a work truck so it just needs to look nice driving by and run like a Mack.

• Like 1

Yep; a little supervision from my dad.  (helps to have someone help pour paint for refills) 

I like to have the cab stripped down as much as possible to paint. Lights, horns, mirrors, roof vent... I want it all off. Hood is off right now, dad's gonna repair the fiberglass cracks and we'll sand it down and paint it before it goes on.

What are you looking for in paint for your 79? I like to dredge up winter work to keep a cash flow in our off season.

• 7 months later...