Isuzu Cab Chassis Model Walkaround

kscarbel2

That's just it:  A twin-steer cab-over mixer might be just the ticket for transit-mix (maneuverable, can be heavy on the front, not too long), but good luck getting anyone here to try it!   

BTW- that GXD is awfully close to the Giga CY series.

Edited by RoadwayR

I've met steering wheel holders who have never driven a cabover who will recite "chapter and verse" the whole litany of myths about cabovers. These are the same guys who tell me 400 horsepower isn't enough to move the 20,000 pound average loads they haul...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maxidyne said:

I've met steering wheel holders who have never driven a cabover who will recite "chapter and verse" the whole litany of myths about cabovers. These are the same guys who tell me 400 horsepower isn't enough to move the 20,000 pound average loads they haul...

And it would be "cruel and unusual" punishment to not have an air conditioned cab, heated, and powered mirrors, power steering,  or an adjustable steering column. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Wonder how this "New Breed" of driver would handle making a living with a rigid mount or even the luxury of a Bostrom "T-Bar" driver's seat?

The old "T-Bar" seat was a really nice improvement to the solid mounted types until my posterior started sagging over the sides as there were no width options back then. I got a brand new one in the box but I'm afraid I'd not be able to shut the driver's door on my B-61 unless I was sitting off to the right side without squishing myself. Kinda gets me to wondering if I'd have shifter movement room if both I and "Momma" was in the cab together? Years ago we rode in the A-40 together, but we both had holes you could pass a softball through wore through our jeans hip area, (my right, her left) once we got back from the rubbing.

Not even going to talk about the smell of having that girl confined in such a small space with near 90 degree temperature outside and no air conditioning.  

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

37 minutes ago, Rob said:

Wonder how this "New Breed" of driver would handle making a living with a rigid mount or even the luxury of a Bostrom "T-Bar" driver's seat?

The old "T-Bar" seat was a really nice improvement to the solid mounted types until my posterior started sagging over the sides as there were no width options back then. I got a brand new one in the box but I'm afraid I'd not be able to shut the driver's door on my B-61 unless I was sitting off to the right side without squishing myself. Kinda gets me to wondering if I'd have shifter movement room if both I and "Momma" was in the cab together? Years ago we rode in the A-40 together, but we both had holes you could pass a softball through wore through our jeans hip area, (my right, her left) once we got back from the rubbing.

Not even going to talk about the smell of having that girl confined in such a small space with near 90 degree temperature outside and no air conditioning.  

The Bostrom Viking T-Bar wasn't a bad seat at all.

34 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

The Bostrom Viking T-Bar wasn't a bad seat at all.

Years ago I really liked them. I actually have two new ones purchased several years ago before they were discontinued. Also have a Bostrom "Level-Aire" and it's a really nice seat as you don't have to deflate it. Once I roll my posterior out it returns to same level empty, or loaded. I made all new bushings and built up the worn shafts and it works like new.

14 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

If I was king for a day, I’d bring the twin-steer tipper and mixer configuration to the states, as well as Chinese Six twin-steer 6x2 tractors.

Kevin-IMO snow balls chance in hell as far as the mixer market  in US.  At least here in Northeast front discharge  rules-and I would bet that is true for rest of country as well.  Is  there still a need for rear discharge in the fleet?  Yes-like for those big pours where truck backs up to a big pump and the load is gone.  Anything else contractors don't want anything  but front discharge- truck pulls onto site, point to first drop point and concrete is flowing within seconds.

Did my share working my way through school standing with a rake or a big Jackson contractor wheelbarrow  at the ass end of a B-81 waiting for the stuff to come down the chute.  Then holding the chute and watching the driver in his mirrors as he backed around the forms to next point.  Just no comparison to what a front discharge can do today.

Not many front discharge mixers downstate in Illinois in comparison to the rear discharge numbers. Don't know why as the front discharge seems, (to me) easier to get into position.

8 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

The supposed awful ride is probably the #1 comment I get about the little Midliner I have. I thought it was a huge upgrade with its spring suspension seat and isolated cab!

2 hours ago, glitchwrks said:

The supposed awful ride is probably the #1 comment I get about the little Midliner I have. I thought it was a huge upgrade with its spring suspension seat and isolated cab!

No Mid-Liner ever rode "awful". I've driven them all......in every configuration. One of our best trucks of all time.

12 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

No Mid-Liner ever rode "awful". I've driven them all......in every configuration. One of our best trucks of all time.

Agree with that. Only had one with an air seat and it really didn't improve the ride over the rigid mount style the other two had. I only had CS-300P series with steel rollback beds. Prior to being put together and being only a C&C, the ride really wasn't that good.....

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

Agree with that. Only had one with an air seat and it really didn't improve the ride over the rigid mount style the other two had. I only had CS-300P series with steel rollback beds. Prior to being put together and being only a C&C, the ride really wasn't that good.....

Pulling a trailer with an MS300T equipped with the fully synchronized BDSL2052R 10-speed splitter transmission was a lot of fun.

All mine had the BDSL-181 six speed and was a very well balanced package with the 210, and 220hp engines. They did their jobs respectively and were very trouble free in my service. I only ran them to almost 750K with good maintenance before rotating them through. I always thought they were comfortable trucks to ingress, egress, and operate with pretty good visibility.

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

All mine had the BDSL-181 six speed and was a very well balanced package with the 210, and 220hp engines. They did their jobs respectively and were very trouble free in my service. I only ran them to almost 750K with good maintenance before rotating them through. I always thought they were comfortable trucks to ingress, egress, and operate with pretty good visibility.

The BDSL181 6-speed was/is an excellent all-around transmission.

Wish mine had the 6-speed instead of the little Spicer 5-speed it's got. You really have to wring the engine's neck between shifts when loaded. Unsynchronized first is no problem, but every time I have to drive through a northeastern city, some guy in a midlife crisis compensation vehicle thinks I'm revving to race 😛

17 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Nearly forgot, my wife goes with me on long trips usually...and falls asleep in the passenger seat, which is *not* a suspension seat :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, glitchwrks said:

Nearly forgot, my wife goes with me on long trips usually...and falls asleep in the passenger seat, which is *not* a suspension seat :)

Mine only went with me once. Swore she was gonna either turn the truck over, or rip that grab bar out of the door jamb cause their ain't no way that truck was designed for that kind of abuse.

Then she bitched about the rotary knob to open the vent window, then about the roof air giving her a headache, then about the cab smelling "greasy", then something else before I got her volume drowned out with the aftermarket stereo to which she ceased flapping her trap. I don't normally play a radio when driving but that was an exception.

• Like 1