Tip turbine question

Hi all, 

i have an EM6-285 with the tip turbine and engine mounted charge cooler. I have scrounged up a chassis mount front air to air cooler I think I can fit in front of the radiator. My question is about how much it would help. If it would support a little more fuel than the engine mounted cooler. And also would it make a bit  more manifold pressure since the turbocharger wouldn’t be bleeding off to spin the cooler turbine. I wonder how much boost would improve?

I think you won't have enough room for it ! The rad will be in the  way! Won't be able to close the hood on it! More mods than you think I'm thinkin!

Just sayin!

Edited by fjh

I have a B61 that I put a later engine in.I used a T600 air/air cooler and turned it upside down and mounted on the bumper and ducted the pipes thru the front fender panels.We used this for years as a hunting wagon going to the mountains with.Before I mounted the cooler it had a cooler just like you have and in the mountians pulling a 18 ft box trailer the pryo would heat much.So after I mounted the air/air I turn more fuel to it and it no more heat as before on the pyrometer.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Paul, the truck is down for some restoration work but it’s nearing completion and I’m installing boost and pyro gauges so I’ll know after it’s back in service. I put a temporary manifold pressure gauge on it a year or so ago when I was doing a repair to a charge cooler gasket and I can’t remember for sure but I think boost was around 23-24 psi. I have the same question as you. I’d like to have some idea if I could expect a little more pressure. I’m also curious if someone else has already done this conversion on an older r model like mine. I know this hood is only shorter by 1” than the chassis mount trucks we have. I would think surely someone here has already been here. 

It may not fit but I found a front mount that is about 2” thick. I was thinking I can move my a/c condenser down lower to behind the bumper and might fit the charge cooler then. I’m not opposed to remote mounting the condenser and putting an electric fan on it. I’d like to do the E6-350 settings even if it meant a different turbo and injectors. 

i put a tip turbine on my 350 4v and i make 30 psi under full load ,i run a 300+ turbo and it starts making boost off idle and never had a issue with excessive exhaust temps. the only reason for going to tip turbine was the bonnet clearance to inter cooler. so i cant see why you would make more work for your self for no extra gain.

I’m nearly finished now. My cab was too rusted out to save so I pretty much rebuilt another cab and put on the truck. I fabbed my own air ride for the new cab and re-did the interior. Added sound and thermal insulation everywhere while the cab was gutted. All new window channels and seals and door seals. Painted the interior and exterior. Pulled the old 2 stick 6 speed out and installed a fuller 9LL so I could have overdrive.pulled the radiator and replaced the mounts because the old ones were shot and the hood hinges bolts to the radiator so the hood didn’t sit right.  I’ll post before and after pictures when I’m done. Swapping in a front mount cooler just doesn’t seem like a lot more work at this point if there’s anything to gain. And at least one member here saw an improvement with a front mount. But that’s why I asked the question here. To hear from guys with knowledge and experience. To try and help me determine if it’s worth trying. I appreciate everyone’s input. If it’s not going to help anything then there’s no point. But if it will help,, after everything I’ve done in the last month or so to this truck, the challenge doesn’t seem like that much more work 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

the front mount intercooler will keep intake air cooler on a 285 and help with keeping EGTs down.  you basicly could set the 285pump to 300 specs.  I have never looked at the difference in 285 and 300 fuel settings they are likely very close?

Trent you guys  got the best of both worlds ! A turned up 285 Maxidyne huge pulling range ect how ever a guy wants to watch how much you crank on it  it can break the block! Unlike the e7 there are no Brutus screws holding things together When the e6 was converted to 350 they added in some jumper plates between the rod caps to try and stabilize the situation however a stop gap measure in my mind before the  E 7  appeared!

Just sayin!

• Like 1

Yup. Seen several 237, (ENDT-675) honked on and busted the blocks. Everything has limits and the E-6 series was at it's limit with the 300+, (IMO) as it wasn't strong enough to tear itself apart, but was strong enough to yield GREAT service if taken care of. I've said that same thing for a lot of years and never been proven wrong yet.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

21 minutes ago, fjh said:

Trent you guys  got the best of both worlds ! A turned up 285 Maxidyne huge pulling range ect how ever a guy wants to watch how much you crank on it  it can break the block! Unlike the e7 there are no Brutus screws holding things together When the e6 was converted to 350 they added in some jumper plates between the rod caps to try and stabilize the situation however a stop gap measure in my mind before the  E 7  appeared!

Just sayin!

I had forgoten about the stabilizer plates

glenn akers

16 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

Paul, the truck is down for some restoration work but it’s nearing completion and I’m installing boost and pyro gauges so I’ll know after it’s back in service. I put a temporary manifold pressure gauge on it a year or so ago when I was doing a repair to a charge cooler gasket and I can’t remember for sure but I think boost was around 23-24 psi. I have the same question as you. I’d like to have some idea if I could expect a little more pressure. I’m also curious if someone else has already done this conversion on an older r model like mine. I know this hood is only shorter by 1” than the chassis mount trucks we have. I would think surely someone here has already been here. 

My E6 320 tup turbine struggles to make 20 psi according to the gauge 

I have seen some big numbers 

Dunno of my gauge is crook or I have a leak or maybe both ??

Something to do one day

Paul 

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

My E6 320 tup turbine struggles to make 20 psi according to the gauge 

I have seen some big numbers 

Dunno of my gauge is crook or I have a leak or maybe both ??

Something to do one day

Paul 

1981 E6-315 tip turbine has an oem range of 18-26 psi.  So, in spec but may be able to get a little more on it.

Interestingly, a 1982 E6-325 with a chassis mounted cooler was set up for 15-23 psi boost.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The chassis mounted charge air cooler yielded a cooler intake charge, (more efficient) than the water to air, (tip turbine) and that was probably a player.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

59 minutes ago, j hancock said:

1981 E6-315 tip turbine has an oem range of 18-26 psi.  So, in spec but may be able to get a little more on it.

Interestingly, a 1982 E6-325 with a chassis mounted cooler was set up for 15-23 psi boost.

Thanks for that

It seems to pull like a train and once boost is established it runs very clean right down to 1200 rpm

Paul 

Mine performs very similar. Need to pull down a gear at about 1300rpm or so. That of course is my driving style. I'm not a WFO, and idle type guy myself.