St. Louis Mack Trucks

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, storkmack said:

We can help you with the Belt, but it would be a bit of a drive for us.   

Thanks!  It would only be a 973.3 mile drive in the country.  Just be careful at the sharp corners on Rt 90 in Cleveland where Rt 2 junctions.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I remember that company with the red R models but the name escapes me. Always had black air cleaners with the body color bands. All the trucks had the raised cabs too.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I was thinking Hazelwood but was unfamiliar for certain. Those R models were very close to new last I seen any of them. I do remember them having a lot of Louisville Fords, and mack R models. Don't think I remember any other marques.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It's been a long time. I think those R models are either 77, or 78 year models. Don't remember if I ever seen anything but dump trucks other than the R models either. Used to be a lot of traffic on I-270 and constant construction through the major interchanges all around St. Louis. I-44, I-64, Rt. 40, and I-55 clearing downtown were always a mess with construction. 

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rob said:

I remember that company with the red R models but the name escapes me. Always had black air cleaners with the body color bands. All the trucks had the raised cabs too.

I'm relatively certain these are Hallibruton Mack's.  There was one, many years ago, in Garrett, IN that I tried to make an offer on.  If they are Hallibruton then they should be Cummins powered. 

• Like 1

Could be Terry but they look very close in spec to my R795 also and are in the same timeframe. Mine was not a Haliburton truck. 

Oil field spec trucks have the raised cab as these do. Probably put together in southern Il as several with that look were including mine. 

Some, but not all were RD series. If you look at the gap between the fuel tanks and cab rocker panel as well as seeing the bottom radiator tank bolts; dead givaway to raised cab. Another clue is the front cab mount insulator being completely visible. 

Edited by Rob

3 hours ago, Terry T said:

I'm relatively certain these are Hallibruton Mack's.  There was one, many years ago, in Garrett, IN that I tried to make an offer on.  If they are Hallibruton then they should be Cummins powered. 

I agree with you here.  We have few in our area also.   

This is my 1977 R795S. It is not an RD:

image.jpeg.44cea5851ddc27a77bed720308e121b4.jpeg

image.jpeg.00841e349838b4bb1bfaa874cf118fc8.jpeg

Same truck setting next to my 1974 RL797LST. Notice the height differences:

image.jpeg.5cb07574a649045177c392cc1c8d383c.jpeg

The line set ticket states "Oil Field Spec".

• Like 2

I think those are R741’s if I remember correctly.  Definitely just R7xx models.  They have NTC290’s in them.  I almost bought a couple of those Halliburton Mack R7’s.  They made them at least into the mid 1980’s.   

Garner did have a very odd and unique Purple 1967 Peterbilt 351 with Dayton wheels all around and a 1693TA under a lengthened hood that gave the truck a unique 126” BBC.  It had a 1673 Cat from the factory and as part of Cat’s buy-back of those boat anchors, they replaced it at the owner’s choice with a 1693.  Because of the significant change in size, the cab was moved back 7” and new hood panels were fabbed, giving the unique 126” BBC.  I believe Peterbilt of St. Louis (pre-Larson Group dealer) did the work.  I have pictures of that truck somewhere.  It was last seen in Garner’s yard in the early 2000’s up in Hazelwood. 

• Like 1