Started the easy part today, found a few problems to fix when it goes back together. The front of both genders was cob jobbed to the radiator support so I may try the piano hinge idea for the front fenders. If anybody wants a 9 speed duplex or anything off the 401 send me a pm. I don’t plan on keeping them around too long after they are yanked out.

315EF551-8B01-4DBF-8495-37C349B0DBBA.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beatngu said:

The 20 speed and 673 out of my other truck. I wanted a detroit but there is plenty of trucks out there with one already in it. Besides I already have some money into the 673, would be a shame to throw away another investment. 

That Detroit might of been cool & fun for awhile; you’ll be glad you went back Mack.

I worked on them Detroit’s for about 10yrs back in the 90’s. I don’t see how someone could drive 1 every day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

there are a few obsticles that you need to overcome to putting the diesel in thr gas job. make sure you change the thru shaft in the left spring hanger for the clutch or youll be scratchin your head when you go to adjust the clutch as the gas jobs have the keyway in a different spot. also make sure you put the shims in between the front spring hangers and the radiator crossmember or youll be swearing when you go to change a fan belt and cant get it between the balancer and the crossmember. and if the gas truck is a single frame your gonna have to shim the rear trans/motor mounts a 1/4 inch and maybe swap the rear cab mount crossmember and shim it also unless you ditch the driveshaft mounted e brake and put on maxi cans

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

They are both double framed trucks, I was curious about that shaft through the spring hanger. I have not studied it too hard but I did notice the return spring is different between the two. Are they made to pull out of the trans or does the spring hanger have to come off?

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2018 at 9:30 PM, Maddog13407 said:

there are a few obsticles that you need to overcome to putting the diesel in thr gas job. make sure you change the thru shaft in the left spring hanger for the clutch or youll be scratchin your head when you go to adjust the clutch as the gas jobs have the keyway in a different spot. also make sure you put the shims in between the front spring hangers and the radiator crossmember or youll be swearing when you go to change a fan belt and cant get it between the balancer and the crossmember. and if the gas truck is a single frame your gonna have to shim the rear trans/motor mounts a 1/4 inch and maybe swap the rear cab mount crossmember and shim it also unless you ditch the driveshaft mounted e brake and put on maxi cans

Now that the cab is off I see what you are talking about, the 20 speed looks like 2 of those gas job tranny’s put together. I think it would be better going to spring brakes