Maxidyne/Maxitorque clarification

Hello,

I'm looking into restoring an older R model. I'm still kind of "new" to Mack so I have a few quick questions I'd like to ask on here to make sure I'm on the right track...

A) on the two-stick Maxitorque 6 spd transmissions (TRXL 107 and TRXL 1071), the shift patterns for the main and aux are as follows, correct?

2 4      R  LO
1 3 5         DIR

B.) on the early models (TRDXL-107 and 1070) the Rev would be on the main stick and the aux would only have Lo and Dir?

C) ENDT-675/676, EM-6, and EM-7 engines are all Maxidyne hi-torque rise engines? Any of which would need to be driven the same way when meshed with one of the 5spd or 6spd Maxitorques mentioned above? (run it up to 2100, neutral, call home, shave, eat a sandwich, light a cigar, put it in gear around 1200, accelerator thru the floor, make sure jet black smoke rolls out the stack, and repeat for each gear.)

D) with the two-stick 6 spd transmissions mentioned above...would you have LO in every gear, or just 1st?

Thanks and I appreciate any info that can be provided to me!

Edited by youngstown.bulldog80
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the info, much appreciated. Yea I’m not sure about the EM6 and EM7, so I’ll have to stand by for future info on that one. 

As far as the 6 spd manual you mentioned, is there a item number or something for the manual? I wouldn’t mind looking online for one to purchase. It would probably be beneficial for me to have one. 

Good deal on the driving information. I just wasn’t sure about the possibility of using low/dir in each forward gear. 

1 hour ago, youngstown.bulldog80 said:

Thank you for the info, much appreciated. Yea I’m not sure about the EM6 and EM7, so I’ll have to stand by for future info on that one. 

As far as the 6 spd manual you mentioned, is there a item number or something for the manual? I wouldn’t mind looking online for one to purchase. It would probably be beneficial for me to have one. 

Good deal on the driving information. I just wasn’t sure about the possibility of using low/dir in each forward gear. 

E6 is the older style dry liner block with the 4 valve head, e7 is wet liner block with 4 valve head.   terry:D

• Like 1

On EM's for example, an EM6-275 (max torque 1038 @ 1020 RPM) could be coupled to a TRL 1076  5 speed transmission.

You can pick up R model operations manuals off ebay.

Having multiple reverse gears is an excellent feature of the 107.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

13 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

c) ENDT676/676 were all maxidynes. I cant comment if the EM6 and EM7 was the note for a just a maxidyne.  When they came out with the 4 valve heads most people I know just called them a E6 / E7 or maxidyne / Econodyne. someone will have to give you a solid answer on this one

Yep, The "M" is for Maxidyne.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Jim

8 hours ago, j hancock said:

On EM's for example, an EM6-275 (max torque 1038 @ 1020 RPM) could be coupled to a TRL 1076  5 speed transmission.

You can pick up R model operations manuals off ebay.

Having multiple reverse gears is an excellent feature of the 107.

sounds good, i'm keeping my eye on Ebay for those in decent condition... www.allvintagetrucks.com has a good number of mack manuals (as well as others), some are in good shape, some are stained etc. i did have luck finding a 6 cylinder tune up spec book and an E6 2 valve 672cid manual from mack's website.

There's been a bunch of Maxidynes over the years- Mack 11 and 12 liter sixes, 14 and 16 liter V8s, a rare 9 liter six based on a Renault engine, and Volvo tried to emulate the Maxidyne with 11, 13, and 16 liter sixes. Volvo has now banished the 16 liter from the American market and dropped the wide ratio Maxitorque transmissions designed to work with the Maxidyne engines a couple years back. There are three generations of Maxitorque transmissions built from the 60s to the present, the basic transmission matched to a Maxidyne engine was a 5 speed or 6 speed in the last generation of Maxitorques. For vocational applications one or more low gears were added and some Maxidynes were given closer ratio 9 and 10 speed transmissions with lowered governor settings to improve fuel economy. Peak production years for the Maxidynes were from introduction in the mid 60s through the 80s when over the road truck buyers largely switched to conventional engines and 9, 10, or more speed transmissions in the interest of fuel economy. Maxidynes remained popular in vocational applications until recently as Volvo has been trying to force their less capable automated manual on customers.

• Like 2

eye agree with Joes Mack

we had a 'F' model mack with a cool power 300 maxidyne n 6 speed mack cog box

it twaz magic to drive U did half the gear changes compared to a screemer n Road Ranger

we used the engine brake to kill revs  Btween gears n U pulled the lever straight thru

also there twaz no engine brake micro switch on the clutch = pull the lever straight thru

next best thing to auto

s022.jpg

'LOL

cya

§wishy

Edited by Swishy
  • Like 2