Theromdyne

DWaits

When I first started getting into Mack trucks I thought all engines made by Mack were Thermodynes, Then as I thought I knew more I thought that Thermodynes were built for fire apparatus. As I THOUGHT I was learning more I found that Thermodynes were also diesels not just gas.

When I am talking to local drivers around here (almost every dump and concrete truck around here is a Mack) they all seem suprised when I tell them I have a Thermodyne gasser!

I know why they dont make todays engines gas but can somebody tell me a little history on the Thermodyne gas/diesels and why they kept the name the same for gas and diesels?

Did Mack build a Thermodyne engine that came with a choice of gas or diesel?

Thanks,

David

1948 Mack Pumper

:bulldog1:

When I first started getting into Mack trucks I thought all engines made by Mack were Thermodynes,  Then as I thought I knew more I thought that Thermodynes were built for fire apparatus.  As I THOUGHT I was learning more I found that Thermodynes were also diesels not just gas.

When I am talking to local drivers around here (almost every dump and concrete truck around here is a Mack) they all seem suprised when I tell them I have a Thermodyne gasser!

I know why they dont make todays engines gas but can somebody tell me a little history on the Thermodyne gas/diesels and why they kept the name the same for gas and diesels?

Did Mack build a Thermodyne engine that came with a choice of gas or diesel?

Thanks,

David

from 1966 to 1990, at least on fire apparatus, if it has a gold bulldog its equipped with the maxidyne motor, which really gives it more horsepower and torque, ideal for hills and such. Thats what i belive i think... the silver bulldog is any of the other optional motors.

The MP7 will be available in Mack’s application-specific families, which include Maxidyne, for high-performance, vocational applications; MaxiCruise, for vocational and highway applications; and Econodyne, for fuel-sensitive, highway applications.

Based on extensive fleet testing, Mack expects the E-Tech to improve on the previous E7's fuel economy by 2-3% and its throttle response by 20-30%. The E-Tech will be offered as Econodyne conventional-torque-rise; MaxiCruise high-torque rise; and Maxidyne vocational-type models. Ten power ratings from 275 to 460 hp. will be available across these three product families.

could not find my paper, but it's info from the net...

I have been a mack fan for about 50 years. Thermodnye was around in the 50,s. Thermodyne probably came about as trademark from the engineering and sales department. Thermo means heat and dyne is a unit of energy. Put them together and you have heat energy which is what a diesel does it turns chemical energy into heat energy and then mechanical energy. Maxidyne maximum energy, econodyne economy energy. Magnadyne was a gas engine. Magna may of had something to do with magneto (just a guess). Keep them macks a rollin.

Magnadyne was for flatheads, Thermodyne was the overhead engines, both gas and diesel. The maxidyne/maxitorque and econodyne get too new for me. The gold dog was on the Maxi trucks, all dogs before that were chrome. I get this question everytime I take out my gas B66 from both novices and experienced "Mack Experts". When they see the Thermodyne emblems on the hood, they think it's diesel.

LOL, I'd cheat and spy the "B66" badge on your hood and know it was a gasser! Even number on a highway truck usually means it's not a diesel, odd number means it is. Learnt that off Fuzzy Buzzard (Tom Gannaway), one of the many oracles I consult from time to time!

Fire trucks are a different matter! I'm sure the Mack guys had fun with designations!

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

Most people that aren't Mack fans don't know that. My B-66 has Thermodyne emblems on the hood, that's what confuses most truck people. I meet Tom once or twice a year and consider him one of my best friends. We meet at Macungie and usually at the Mack show at Gerharts. He is one of the most likable people you would ever meet, and his stories are priceless. I don't know if you belong to the Antique Truck Club of America or not, but at Macungie last year, he showed up, grabbed my hand for a healthy shake and said "welcome to our family reunion." This became the main story in the July issue of our magazine. I hope the picture comes thru OK.

I'll have to check on the exaust manifold for the raised letters. Sure is conveniont that I have an A-50 somthing in the barn that just happens to have a magnadyne in it so later today I'll go take a look.

Did the magnadynes have sleeves in the cylinders or do the pistons just ride in the block like many new engines? Mine smokes a bit, hopefully as I get to realy driving it she'll clear up. If not I'll pop the head off and do the rings.

While we're on the subject, dose anyone know where I can find parts for the old A? The engine runs like a clock but leaks oil at just about every seam, so a gasket set is a must. I think that while I have the pan off I'll check a couple of the mains and rods, if they are to bad I'll roll a set of bearings in if I can find them. Grandpa tells me the old flat heads were real common in school buses so hopefully parts can be found reasonably.

I'll have to check on the exaust manifold for the raised letters.  Sure is conveniont that I have an A-50 somthing in the barn that just happens to have a magnadyne in it so later today I'll go take a look.

Did the magnadynes have sleeves in the cylinders or do the pistons just ride in the block like many new engines?  Mine smokes a bit, hopefully as I get to realy driving it she'll clear up.  If not I'll pop the head off and do the rings.

While we're on the subject, dose anyone know where I can find parts for the old A?  The engine runs like a clock but leaks oil at just about every seam, so a gasket set is a must.  I think that while I have the pan off I'll check a couple of the mains and rods, if they are to bad I'll roll a set of bearings in if I can find them. Grandpa tells me the old flat heads were real common in school buses so hopefully parts can be found reasonably.

i just had a local parts jobber(carquest) check on rings and bearings for my 707B and he claims he can get them from somewhere in mississippi. rings are a bit pricey but i haven't found any others.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

I have been a mack fan for about 50 years. Thermodnye was around in the 50,s. Thermodyne probably came about as trademark from the engineering and sales department. Thermo means heat and dyne is a unit of energy. Put them together and you have heat energy which is what a diesel does it turns chemical energy into heat energy and then mechanical energy. Maxidyne maximum energy, econodyne economy energy. Magnadyne was a gas engine. Magna may of had something to do with magneto (just a guess). Keep them macks a rollin.

I thought MAGNADYNE was a japanese movie from the "70"s :D