Never seen one like this before.

Outbehindthebarn

a 4020 did not have an especially robust rear-end. I'm thinking it was a conversation piece only. The Detroit repower's were somewhat common, but as everyone knows, the torque on that Mack would break that JD's back in tough ground.

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, Outbehindthebarn said:

a 4020 did not have an especially robust rear-end. I'm thinking it was a conversation piece only. The Detroit repower's were somewhat common, but as everyone knows, the torque on that Mack would break that JD's back in tough ground.

The 5020 series were well known for their extremely strong gear cases. In fact there are articles written about them and there legendary strength.  Kinzie made a kit to install 8V71 or 855 Cummins when these tractors were new. It was a hold over from the 2 Cylinder days of high tourque impact from the fireing of just 2 cylinders. Remember these are the same engineers of the 2 cylinder era who designed the "First Generation" John Deeres.  I will look for the article and post it if I can figure out how to.   But a 318 HP Detroit or 350 HP Cummins installed back in the late 60's and still working toady is a testament to strength and durability. A 4020 had the same stamina but its not rated for that engine for sure.  The 5000 series was a much bigger tractor. This being said we all know of 175 or 200 HP 4020's earning there keep

Edited by ws721

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!