EM7 300 E-tech Boost pressure

Mjgrading

Soooooo...this truck is driving me crazy.  Running through the gears (it’s a 7 speed) it’s only making 15-16 psi.  Then once yesterday and today I’m in high gear, empty, around 55-65 mph and it hits 22-23psi.  It’s only hit that much twice.

Edited by Mjgrading

5 hours ago, Mackpro said:

The early ETECHs had bad problems with intake manifold gaskets blowing out. Also remember all ETECH, CCRS and AI engines had the air compressor intake piped into the turbo boost pressure side of the intake system. Any leak at this piping will result in low turbo boost

how would you go by checking the air compressor for leaks that could cause low boost? 

new resized.jpg

You remove the turbo to after cooler pipe and install test plug on to after cooler, leave all other piping alone., hook up air pressure regulator and pump 30 psi into after cooler/ rest of engine. Spray soapy water on intake gaskets and around air compressor intake piping and back of engine. Due to intake and exhaust valves being open in engine it might not hit 30 psi but it will be good enough to find leaks

Edited by Mackpro

Give the turbo impeller a spin too. Most of the time the turbo either puts up or gives up (chunks). On occasion we have found a turbo gaining drag in it's center bearing. When I tuned up my buddies '98 PLN the compressor side was slowly chewing itself skinny, but had not blown and still made enough boost to pull. Don't look at center slop/play.....only house contact.  

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

You remove the turbo to after cooler pipe and install test plug on to after cooler, leave all other piping alone., hook up air pressure regulator and pump 30 psi into after cooler/ rest of engine. Spray soapy water on intake gaskets and around air compressor intake piping and back of engine. Due to intake and exhaust valves being open in engine it might not hit 30 psi but it will be good enough to find leaks

Watch your pressure gauge and turn engine slow till you get max pressure .You can find a place were enough valves wether intake or exhaust will be closed to build pressure on all cyl.

glenn akers