How Much Should I Be Paying For A clutch Job?

Flat Work

6 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

based on what i paid for a new dbl disc for a 4900 inter. last month   735.00  and depending on labor rate where you are i`d say brace yourself

I just got my first over the phone quote back.  $2500.00

If that's the going rate, I'll drive to Virginia and use your mechanic.

He told me 14 hours on labor.

Edited by Flat Work
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

based on what i paid for a new dbl disc for a 4900 inter. last month   735.00  and depending on labor rate where you are i`d say brace yourself

thats just what i paid for the clutch i am the mechanic  hard to believe 14 hrs  unless you have a whole lot of add ons under the truck

Edited by carlotpilot

$2500 seems fair to me. He is close with his 14 hrs. In Massachusetts, figure $110/hr so $1540.00 plus parts which will probably be a little for the then clutch for then for an international 4900, because a 427 is putting out more torque then a dt466. That puts you at $2500.

8 minutes ago, ekennedy21 said:

$2500 seems fair to me. He is close with his 14 hrs. In Massachusetts, figure $110/hr so $1540.00 plus parts which will probably be a little for the then clutch for then for an international 4900, because a 427 is putting out more torque then a dt466. That puts you at $2500.

thats why i said brace your self . i did`nt price a15,5 dbl disc.i`m sure they are much higher than the med .duty i used . don`t think rblt. exchanges are available any more either

5 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

thats why i said brace your self . i did`nt price a15,5 dbl disc.i`m sure they are much higher than the med .duty i used . don`t think rblt. exchanges are available any more either

Rebuilt price is about $400.00 less. I would rather go with new.

2500 is a good starting point. if your driving it or have a good driver in it and get 800k-1mill out of a clutch your probably looking at new input shaft cross shafts and bushings possibility linkages as well and a rear main while your in there is a good idea. if you have hired drivers that rip a clutch out every 2-400k you can probably get away without a lot of the extra's

1 hour ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Labor is that cheap on the east coast?!?  In Mn here we are paying $130 an hour. It is ridiculous. 

MACK in Medford  N.Y. gets $149.00 per hour with a  3 hour minimum for ANY repair.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

all depends whats on it to and how its mounted, Mack or Volvo with the mounts on the trans and having to jack up the engine, tack on another 3-4 hours. then if it needs a rear main or flywheel resurfaced, tack on a little more,, droppin or having t unhook a pto or hoses or linkage, tack on a little more. up here in upstate ny 2500 sounds fair

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg