12 speed shift knob

Lmackattack

19 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Did you try rebuilding your shift knob with a 14RC1131 repair kit from Watt's Mack ?

(Mack part numbers.....simply unforgettable. Try that with a meaningless Volvo global part number.)

do you remember the part # for the drum inside of the shifter as well ?....I don't need one this is just a test !  I can never get a parts man any more to get one, only the soft parts kit + the detents

3 minutes ago, gearhead204 said:

do you remember the part # for the drum inside of the shifter as well ?....I don't need one this is just a test !  I can never get a parts man any more to get one, only the soft parts kit + the detents

I was always told that the drum (cylinder) was a non-serviceable part (we didn't sell it separately). But if you purchased it separately in the past, you taught me something!

Gearhead204 got me hooked up...thank you again!

This trans is not even in truck. I bought this trans for $2,000 from a guy in NJ. it was sitting in his shop after it had been rebuilt by mack and was ready to go in one of his fleet of CH and RD Macks if the time ever came to replace one. it never did. I pulled the top covers off and all the gears and bearings are brand new. I got the air shift cover and knob from Global about 8 years ago and when I moved  5 years ago I must have misplaced the knob somehow.  Been itching to get it in the truck and thinking next year I may bring it to a shop to get it installed.

here is a question Im not sure about... will the main stick on my 2 stick 6 speed bolt onto the top cover/main of the 12speed?

Thanks for the input fellas

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

It's simply a matter of fact that the former Mack Trucks had the best part numbering system of any truckmaker in the world. And today in year 2017, nobody has surpassed it.

was it that the brake down with the numbers made it easy to know what each part was part of? I worked in auto racing and one of my jobs was to help with parts sales at the track. With regards to part numbers.... each part number started with letters to note what mfg it was built by.  All numbers after that it was the mfg part number. at times we could have 5 different Mfg so remembering all the diffrent ways each mfg numbered their stuff was a big PITA.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2017 at 12:04 PM, Lmackattack said:

was it that the brake down with the numbers made it easy to know what each part was part of? I worked in auto racing and one of my jobs was to help with parts sales at the track. With regards to part numbers.... each part number started with letters to note what mfg it was built by.  All numbers after that it was the mfg part number. at times we could have 5 different Mfg so remembering all the diffrent ways each mfg numbered their stuff was a big PITA.

I've posted this before.

The Mack parts system, unlike today, was design by parts people.........for parts people.

Timeless in effectiveness, brilliant in logic and simplicity, the Mack parts system was the envy of the industry.

Speaking of parts breakdowns (illustrations), it was Mack parts people who drew them so accurately.

The beginning of the part number (prefix) told you what kind of part it was, with P-number suffixes that told you what variation it was.

Here are just a few examples of the part number prefixes:

1AX - fine thread bolt
4AX - course thread bolt
36AX - lock washer
37AX - flat washer
62GB - rod bearing

64GB - main bearing

631GC - turbocharger
2ME - muffler

4ME - exhaust pipe

47MO - turn signal lamp

1MR - electrical switch
11MR - circuit breaker

3MT - temperature gauge

7QH  - tie rod
10QH - tie rod end

2QK - front spring
4QK - rear spring

10 QK - suspension rubber insulator

1QM - hood

301SQ - king pin set

.........and so on.

The "P" suffixes were equally straightforward, continuing the brilliant simplicity of the Mack system.

2QK3378P1 10,500lb front spring

2QK3378P2 12,000lb front spring

An "A", "B" or higher letter between the base part number and the "P" suffix denoted an engineering improvement.

For example, 3MT35AP2.

3MT - temperature gauge

35 - R/U/DM

A - see above

P2 - negative ground or P3 (positive ground)

Because of the brilliant Mack part numbering system, the part numbers were very easy to remember, due to the fact that each part of the number had a logical and clear meaning. This is why veteran Mack parts people, in my humble opinion, were significantly better than their peers in the truck industry.

With literally thousands of Mack part numbers comfortably in their head, veteran Mack parts people worked faster and more efficiently than those of any other manufacturer.

But now, Volvo has replaced Mack part numbers with Volvo global part numbers, randomly selected part numbers that have no meaning whatsoever.

This is why the handful of veteran Mack parts people still around can no longer quickly assist you. The Volvo parts system, by design, is immensely time consuming. Not to mention the horrible, inconsistent Volvo Group electronic parts catalog for Mack brand trucks.

For Volvo to throw away the staggeringly efficient Mack Trucks parts numbering system, frankly the truck industry's best, and replace it with meaningless Volvo global part numbers so as to meet the demands of their arrogant bureaucracy, is a tragedy for the Mack brand customer. As a Mack veteran, it leaves me totally disgusted.

Even though today's Mack brand truck is for the most part a rebadged Volvo, the Swedish truckmaker would have been better off to adopt Mack's superior part numbering system rather than force their often criticized system upon the former Mack dealers. But then, the culture of arrogance at Volvo prevents them from admitting they are inferior at anything.

A number of Mack veterans argued against Volvo's inferior system. They were fired or asked to retire early.

There is no more Mack Trucks. It's just a nameplate on a Volvo truck. Pretending that a Mack-branded truck today has any connection to America is simply dreaming. Swedish foreign aggressor Volvo's frequent waving of the United States flag is offensive, as is the name "Anthem".

26 minutes ago, macks in nigeria said:

How exactly did the Mack brand fall into the hands of europeans? were there no truck makers in America that were interested or couldn't pay for it? I am sure this question must have been answered before by KScarbel but just cant find it.

The four key reasons are:

1. Ruthless foreign aggressor Volvo

2. The UAW (union)

3. Mr. Marc Gustafson.

4. A United States government that doesn't support its truckmakers, as it does its automakers.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/43897-how-the-mack-name-ended-up-where-it-is-today/?tab=comments#comment-323090

23 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

You're right!!! You jogged my memory.

image 1.jpg

Did Mack and Spicer share that same knob? That sure looks  like an Air shift  4x4 knob. I rebuilt mine with a kit from Spicer. The kit was like $115.00 8 years  ago. Al  

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

5 minutes ago, macks in nigeria said:

I thought Renault came in first.

Signal oil and Gas of Canada did a 1 to 1 stock deal with MACK  in 1967, Renault bought 10% in 1979,wholly by Renault by 1990,  who along with MACK were bought in 2000 by Volvo.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

10 minutes ago, 57 bcr said:

Did Mack and Spicer share that same knob? That sure looks  like an Air shift  4x4 knob. I rebuilt mine with a kit from Spicer. The kit was like $115.00 8 years  ago. Al  

I was thinking of this last night, trying to remember the supplier. The 6-speed knob/valve part number is 20QE398. The 10/12 speed unit had different raised lettering, low and high versus low and direct.

I was thinking Wagner, who made our modern day rotochamber brake chambers (19QE396P5) for the 20,000 front axle (FAW20) application, but then I was thinking Berg. Sorry, many years ago.

$115 for a little 14RC1131 bag of o-rings???  Volvo "bend over" pricing at work.

1 minute ago, macks in nigeria said:

Thanks for the lesson,always thought Renault sold to Volvo and remained independent without realizing they were acquired too.Has the Renault brand lost as much identity as Mack?

It's a funny situation. Volvo acquired Renault's truck unit (RVI), and like the Mack dealer body, treat Renault people as if they couldn't possibly know anything about trucks. But the Swedes still feel uncomfortable, out of their element, in France. And they're intimidated by the French government. And then there's sales, where Renault is the highest performing brand within Volvo Group. Thus, Renault enjoys considerable autonomy, whereas Mack is literally just a nameplate on a few doors at Volvo's U.S. headquarters in Greensboro, North Carolina (and within are a collection of misfits who actually do know nothing about trucks).

Thanks for that Info KS..... You really do have a wealth of info and the news reports to back it up... I hope you have most of your Mack knowledge written down on paper some where. If not, please start!  or better yet perhaps a book written by you?   30 years from now I can foresee us all looking back to old BMT threads for long lost info LOL 

• Like 1