Napier Deltic

Truck Shop

A discussion came up at work about odd engines and I tried to explain the Deltic and ended up using this cutaway pic which did a much better job.

Saw one this last summer loaded on a drop deck headed for port of Seattle. First and only one I've seen.

Truck Shop

8cd74b81de7bc44cc615c887ec09c4af.jpg

• Like 1

One ping only

44 minutes ago, Truck Shop said:

A discussion came up at work about odd engines and I tried to explain the Deltic and ended up using this cutaway pic which did a much better job.

Saw one this last summer loaded on a drop deck headed for port of Seattle. First and only one I've seen.

Truck Shop

8cd74b81de7bc44cc615c887ec09c4af.jpg

Looks very cool. Probably way ahead of its time, but gives me a headache just looking at it! LOL

• Like 1

The FDNY's Mack Superpumper's main pump was driven by a 1400HP Napier-Deltic Engine which drove a DeLaval three stage pump, 8800gpm at 400psi or 4400 gpm at 700psi. I have seen one of the engine manuals in the archives at the Mack museum. Also, a gentleman on Long Island, NY purchased the spare engine that FDNY had on hand through an auction site. He advertises it for sale occasionally but of course wants some kind of astronomical amount for it. 

https://firematic.com/napier_deltic.htm

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

53 minutes ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

The FDNY's Mack Superpumper's main pump was driven by a 1400HP Napier-Deltic Engine which drove a DeLaval three stage pump, 8800gpm at 400psi or 4400 gpm at 700psi. I have seen one of the engine manuals in the archives at the Mack museum. Also, a gentleman on Long Island, NY purchased the spare engine that FDNY had on hand through an auction site. He advertises it for sale occasionally but of course wants some kind of astronomical amount for it. 

https://firematic.com/napier_deltic.htm

Any videos of it pumping? I looked on youtube and couldn't find any of it in action.  

12 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Any videos of it pumping? I looked on youtube and couldn't find any of it in action.  

There are very few videos of it pumping in existence. What is out there are mainly converted 8mm movie reels. There is a video of the Super Tender's Intelligiant Deluge Gun (capable of 5000gpm) being fed by three or four pumpers at a muster in California about 10 years ago. 

If you are interested in the Super Pumper System, I highly recommend the book "The FDNY Super Pumper System" By Jack Calderone (FDNY Battalion Chief, Ret.) published by Fire Apparatus Journal publishing. Tons of information and lots of fantastic b & w and color pics

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

In the cut away pic above the number 19 there is a bunch of square openings. Are they part of the cylinder? If so does that mean it’s a 2 stroke?

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

2 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

In the cut away pic above the number 19 there is a bunch of square openings. Are they part of the cylinder? If so does that mean it’s a 2 stroke?

Yup, 2 stroke 18 cylinder

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here's a video of some Deltic noise turn the volume up It's leaving the station in a hurry.

Truck Shop

One ping only