Unknown Dash Switches.

I've got a couple of switches on my dash panel that are a mystery to me. Both are intermittent rocker switches.

One has what looks like a snowflake on it.

The other one is a circle shaped arrow with an X  running thru it.

When I push them, I can't tell that anything specific is happening. Anyone got a clue?

The switch with the snowflake initiates the truck's magnetoplasmadynamic drive system, in effect releasing plasma from the deuterium fusion reactor to power the magnetic coil.

The switch with the circle-shaped arrow with an X releases inertia from the propellant to prevent time dilation, a possibility in the event of an abrupt system shutdown. 

Check your Mack manual under "Drive Systems - Operation" for more details.

Luckily, I have a 2001, so none of that misc. stuff

OH YEAH---LIKE!!

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

On 8/12/2017 at 7:20 AM, kscarbel2 said:

The switch with the snowflake initiates the truck's magnetoplasmadynamic drive system, in effect releasing plasma from the deuterium fusion reactor to power the magnetic coil.

The switch with the circle-shaped arrow with an X releases inertia from the propellant to prevent time dilation, a possibility in the event of an abrupt system shutdown. 

Check your Mack manual under "Drive Systems - Operation" for more details.

Well, if I'm reading your subliminal message correctly, I would guess the circle switch is the engine shutdown override switch?

But you got me on the magnetoplasmadynamic drive system.

be  careful with that snow flake switch    push and hold  cause`s liberals within 20 yards of you to have attacks of diearrea

Well ain't that a load o crappola...:thumb:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I've got a couple of switches on my dash panel that are a mystery to me. Both are intermittent rocker switches.

One has what looks like a snowflake on it.

The other one is a circle shaped arrow with an X  running thru it.

When I push them, I can't tell that anything specific is happening. Anyone got a clue?

Seriously  It's tied in with the fridge in the sleeper if you have /had a sleeper. The snowflake goes out when you turn the fridge switch on the sleeper control panel off. 

the other is "O" with the "X" through the middle is the shut down over ride

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Seriously  It's tied in with the fridge in the sleeper if you have /had a sleeper. The snowflake goes out when you turn the fridge switch on the sleeper control panel off. 

the other is "O" with the "X" through the middle is the shut down over ride

Thank you, Chevy.

Now I'm going to get serious..............

I think that it's pathetic that a truckmaker charges Mack truck operators money for an Operator's Handbook.

In the interest of spurring greater sales, wouldn't Volvo want operators to fully understand the operational features of their truck for maximum satisfaction and optimized operation?

How would it harm the Mack brand to offer the handbook by free PDF download ?

Even if the recipient bought the truck used, providing an Operator's Handbook free-of-charge could result in a new truck sale down the road.

We're not talking about comprehensive service manuals. Online Operator's Handbook PDF downloads would cause no expense to Volvo Group, and yet be a display of goodwill to serve the Mack brand's image.

For now, you have to pay $19 for a TS82304 (Mack CX Series Operators Handbook. 2003-2004)

https://macktrucks.vg-emedia.com/InformationListing.aspx?GroupId=593

Now I'm going to get serious..............

I think that it's pathetic that a truckmaker charges Mack truck operators money for an Operator's Handbook.

In the interest of spurring greater sales, wouldn't Volvo want operators to fully understand the operational features of their truck for maximum satisfaction and optimized operation?

How would it harm the Mack brand to offer the handbook by free PDF download ?

Even if the recipient bought the truck used, providing an Operator's Handbook free-of-charge could result in a new truck sale down the road.

We're not talking about comprehensive service manuals. Online Operator's Handbook PDF downloads would cause no expense to Volvo Group, and yet be a display of goodwill to serve the Mack brand's image.

For now, you have to pay $19 for a TS82304 (Mack CX Series Operators Handbook. 2003-2004)

https://macktrucks.vg-emedia.com/InformationListing.aspx?GroupId=593

My biggest problem has been with parts, parts numbers, and availability. I live south of Lansing, and the only Mack/Volvo dealers are in either Grand Rapids, or the Detroit area. One is 98 miles away, and the other is 87. And they will never ship directly to me. It all has to go thru the dealer. So I either have to go pick the parts up, or wait for them to come to the dealer, and then have them ship to me from there. Which means in many cases, I have to pay for shipping twice, and end up waiting anywhere from 5-10 days getting them. And cross-referencing Mack part#'s is difficult, at best. 

Right now I'm trying to find any cross reference source I can for cooling system hoses. I've had a couple of those cheap-ass silicone hoses split on me. Causing me to break down and spew coolant all over. Whoever the engineering morons are that thought silicone was a good idea for cooling systems, should be in the unemployment line. As we've all seen with intercooler silicone hoses, they aren't always reliable.

I think for the parts issue alone, I can say I've bought two Mack Trucks- my first, and my last. It's too bad. I like the truck. It drives and handles great. While the 12 liter  lacks a little on the low end torque, It's a very smooth and steady engine. The turbo spools up nicely in the 1200-1800 rpm range.

But parts availability is my problem. Mack thinks they have to keep everything close to their chests. If you buy something that has a Cummins or Detroit in it, you can damn near got to Walmart and get parts for it!!!

In choosing a truck, it is so important to choose a strong dealer as well. It's all about the owner, the distributor. His "attitude", good or bad, spreads throughout the dealer.

After the US truck makers (Mack, International, ect.) got away from factory-owned branches, Scania went the opposite direction to as to offer a consistent customer experience. Today, most Scania sales and service locations are owned directly by Scania. You can promise so much more when you're in control. But that's only half the story. You have to genuinely care about the customer, which Scania does.

"Real" silicone coolant hoses from good manufacturers like Flexfab are good, Silicone-appearing fake coolant hoses are junk.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 8:27 AM, kscarbel2 said:

In choosing a truck, it is so important to choose a strong dealer as well. It's all about the owner, the distributor. His "attitude", good or bad, spreads throughout the dealer.

After the US truck makers (Mack, International, ect.) got away from factory-owned branches, Scania went the opposite direction so as to offer a consistent customer experience. Today, most Scania sales and service locations are owned directly by Scania. You can promise so much more when you're in control. But that's only half the story. You have to genuinely care about the customer, which Scania does.

"Real" silicone coolant hoses from good manufacturers like Flexfab are good, Silicone-appearing fake coolant hoses are junk.

I grew up on a pretty good sized dairy farm. Your equipment dealerships played a big role for farmers in those days. And the car dealership we bought all of our pickups from. We deal with the local Deere dealer now, for what little equipment we have. The service is nothing like it used to be.

As far as the silicone hoses go- I seriously doubt I'll ever be sold on them. I've had 2 split on me. And I don't think  belted rubber hoses the same age would have. I absolutely could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

This part of Kev's statement says it all  ( You have to genuinely care about the customer) And The big V don't give a rats ass about the customer OR its Dealers! They are simply interested in the money they can suck out of both ! 

• 3 years later...
On 2/17/2021 at 9:54 PM, Justadriver said:

Does anyone know what the two rocker switches with a drawing of a key are for?  They are stacked on top of each other and border the suspension release switch and the fifth wheel coupling switch.,There’s no manual in this truck

They are factory installed accessory switches. You can use the to control beacons or whatever. They are pre-wired with the wire in the dash. If the switch has a key, that means it powered only when key is on. If it has a battery, that means switch has constant power to it.