Still looking for USPS MR tractor

Hook n ladder 1

7 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

About 10 years ago they had a mass sell off of them. most were 250 or 300HP with automatics... a few guys picked them up and turned them into dump trucks. first time I had ever seen a MR pulling a dump box

I would think the windshield would be a big problem for getting broken with a dump truck job.

glenn akers

17 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

I would think the windshield would be a big problem for getting broken with a dump truck job.

I was thinking more of how the driver was going to feel after a day of off roading in one of those things. they seam to be a rough rider even on the street.

On 8/1/2017 at 11:49 AM, Lmackattack said:

I was thinking more of how the driver was going to feel after a day of off roading in one of those things. they seam to be a rough rider even on the street.

The R-model based MC was reasonably comfortable. But with MC sales never meeting expectations, we discontinued it to focus on the strong selling vocational MR.

But the USPS wanted us to continue bidding a low-cab-forward tractor, so we down-spec'd the MR to create a tractor. With a heavier DM-like deep frame, It had a rougher ride.

As I recall, Mack President Henry Nave promoted the idea for the MC/MR, based on his positive impression of Crane Carrier's similar Centurion. The Centurion was launched in 1974, the MC/MR in 1978. And I always believed there was some communication between Nave and Curcio, the latter who briefly left Mack (than heading the Canadian Hayes subsidiary) to work for Crane Carrier from July 1973 to March 1976. And of course Henry Nave had previously been President and Chairman of White where the low-cab-forward "1500 Compact" and "6000 Xpeditor" had been strong products. Though Crane Carrier's Centurion never achieved high volume sales, it was the catalyst for a new generation of purpose-design refuse trucks.

Speaking on this subject makes me recall the MB series 6x4 tractors we sold to the U.S. Navy for warehouse to commissary delivery.

People tend to forget the MB, but it was an extremely crucial product for Mack Trucks within our line-up during the 1960s and 1970s, and we sold thousands. I never met an Overnite or APA driver who complained, and their accountants loved them.

Mack MB - Maneuverability.JPG

Mack MB - Sure fire performer.jpg

• Like 1

The Mack "MB" fire truck was the way many small volunteer fire departments entered the "custom" fire chassis market. Until then most small departments used Ford, Chevrolet, or IHC chassis.

The "MB" gave them "big city" features such as jump seats, dual ignitions, keyless starting, and other NFPA recommended items. Later, these departments could move on to "CF"s, ALFs, Duplex,

Spartan, etc. My department was all "CF" but we had one "MB" (budget cuts!!) and two neighboring departments purchased their first custom engines,  Mack "MB"s.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

People tend to forget the MB, but it was an extremely crucial product for Mack Trucks within our line-up during the 1960s and 1970s, and we sold thousands. I never met an Overnite or APA driver who complained, and their accountants loved them.

Of the thousands of MBs that were used for everything. Where the hell are they all?!   Hippy.........

Edited by 70mackMB

On 7/31/2017 at 8:33 AM, Hook n ladder 1 said:

Im still looking.  Saw a few for $20,000  It made me giggle. 

Tandem axle preferred.  Not any older than a 96/97 model year.

email me at cctrans1@yahoo.com if you know of one for sale

I sent you a lead on an MR in Broadway, VA. Did you ever check it out?

• 2 weeks later...