Power steering for a B755

I want to put power steering on my B755 since it has a long wheel base and hard to turn around. I was told no B755's had power steering because there was no room for a power box with the V8. Has anyone used a different set up? I don't like air assist. Someone told me they saw one with a Superliner I mounted on  the front axle. Has anyone here tried it? Need some input on what to try.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I have a fluid power assist on my B75.  On rough roads, it can sometimes feel a little twitchy.  Have an air assist on a Brockway it seems to do OK.  There is an air switch so air can be shut off while going down the highway and then flipped on for tight stuff.

Matt Pfahl has an early Superliner axle with the integral mounted steering box on his B-61.  Never asked about it but it has been that way for probably 10 years so it must go OK.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I drove a B model dump with air assist (resembled the hydraulic cylinder the older Ford cars had only air ) steered nice but was local,and off road mostly! I can see the advantage of an on off switch like Hancocks Brockway!

2 hours ago, j hancock said:

Matt Pfahl has an early Superliner axle with the integral mounted steering box on his B-61.  Never asked about it but it has been that way for probably 10 years so it must go OK.

The steering box is actually  mounted on the axle?

1 hour ago, Hobert62 said:

The steering box is actually  mounted on the axle?

Yup.  Swiped this picture from "Out behind the Barn".

You can see the box mounted to the axle with the steering shaft and the fluid lines.

Superliner steering box.jpg

• Like 2

Jim

5 hours ago, j hancock said:

I have a fluid power assist on my B75.  On rough roads, it can sometimes feel a little twitchy.  Have an air assist on a Brockway it seems to do OK.  There is an air switch so air can be shut off while going down the highway and then flipped on for tight stuff.

What  brand fluid assist is on your B75? Did you install it or was it already on? I don't know how hard it would be to find a set up off of a early Superliner. Anyone  got one they want to part with? I have lots of parts to trade if needed.

1 hour ago, MACKTRUCKS4 said:

What  brand fluid assist is on your B75? Did you install it or was it already on? I don't know how hard it would be to find a set up off of a early Superliner. Anyone  got one they want to part with? I have lots of parts to trade if needed.

It is a Garrison set up but don't have a model number.  It was on a B-67 and moved it over to the B-75.

Jim

Mike, I have the Garrison on my B755. It is a hydraulic slave cylinder in place of the air cylinder. It works great, uses your original steering box. Have to install the control valve, cylinder and pump, ether direct drive or belt on the V8.  I even put a B67 steering wheel on for belly clearance. The kit was still available a few years ago when mine was done by Matt.

16 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

Mike, I have the Garrison on my B755. It is a hydraulic slave cylinder in place of the air cylinder. It works great, uses your original steering box. Have to install the control valve, cylinder and pump, ether direct drive or belt on the V8.  I even put a B67 steering wheel on for belly clearance. The kit was still available a few years ago when mine was done by Matt.

Jeff, Is the direct drive pump the same as the one on the E9? Looks like it mounts the same way.

Early superliners had the steering box on the  front axle. down side to it was that if you get in a wreck and the axle gets pushed back it can sends the steering shaft into your chest.

I recall some truck MFG have the steering box located to the rear of the front wheel on the out side of the frame? not sure how that linkage would be but its an option I guess?

I have also seen some R models where they had a steering box on the inside of the frame but the input shaft of the steering column was pointed more upward. it then used a 2nd set of U joints to make the  extra bend in the linkage... not sure it that would work for you?

5 hours ago, MACKTRUCKS4 said:

Jeff, Is the direct drive pump the same as the one on the E9? Looks like it mounts the same way.

The pump mounts the same way but is no the same. The 325/375 is different from the E9 and 255 as well. I think it has to do with the gear tooth angel. The pump gear and mount is engine specific. I have to see if I got the pump iI sent Matt back, it was off a 255. I think it was rebuilt or in really good condition. He had to get a 325/375 pump and mount for the engine in my B755 to get it to work.  Are you thinking of doing the Garrison setup?  I can get a few photos if your interested.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:33 PM, AZB755V8 said:

The pump mounts the same way but is no the same. The 325/375 is different from the E9 and 255 as well. I think it has to do with the gear tooth angel. The pump gear and mount is engine specific. I have to see if I got the pump iI sent Matt back, it was off a 255. I think it was rebuilt or in really good condition. He had to get a 325/375 pump and mount for the engine in my B755 to get it to work.  Are you thinking of doing the Garrison setup?  I can get a few photos if your interested.

It sounds like the way to go. Send me some pictures when you get a chance. Thanks.

On 5/15/2017 at 3:54 PM, beatngu said:

I have a spare garrison draglink control valve and fluid reservoir if you want to go that route. I also have some sort of power steering pump that came as extra parts but I don't think it actually goes to the garrison system.

Yes I would be interested if they will work on my truck.

Has anyone explored the use of one of the newer electric pumps to power the hydraulics? They are becoming pretty common in new cars.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

On 5/16/2017 at 5:42 PM, MACKTRUCKS4 said:

It sounds like the way to go. Send me some pictures when you get a chance. Thanks.

Mike, had time today to get a few photo's of the setup

591e8b21331e3_May172017428.thumb.JPG.d6212fcfe76e1e3b3bdf4365a9c0f232.JPG

The mount for the cylinder, have to put the same height spacer in the passenger side or trim down the drivers side to compensate for thickness

591e8b21331e3_May172017428.thumb.JPG.d6212fcfe76e1e3b3bdf4365a9c0f232.JPG

The control valve and mounting to steering link and Pittman arm

591e8b7c7e118_May172017433.thumb.JPG.c9243f991b13190180f7a22aee1806fc.JPG

The hydraulic cylinder and mount to drag link

591e8b49ba8ad_May172017426.thumb.JPG.58603e6d1d2d83e04dcd02d8dc3efc1c.JPG

864 mount and small pump, small tank, mounts with 3 bolts, I do not have the gear, don't know if you want it, let me know

591e8b3901885_May172017432.thumb.JPG.f4540c701375a3dec1091175f0782846.JPG

825/875 Pump and tank in my B755, a lot bigger pump like on a single steering box E9, a double box pump and tank are even bigger

May17, 2017 431.JPG

Cylinder mounting bracket

Edited by AZB755V8
no text

Jeff, the pump you have for a 864 would fit with the 864 gear, but is the tank big enough for the garrison set up? Is that why you went with your set up? I have a spare tank off a superliner like the one you have on yours, but what pump would I need to get that fits on a 864 and works with a separate tank? Are the garrison set ups available new?

The pump that I have is small for the volume of oil you will need for the setup. I did not use it for that reason, however an E9 or 825/875 pump would work. I think that drive gear was used on the bigger pump on my truck. You should have a spare pump for your stuff, if not one is on Ebay now for an E9. The thing is you will need the 3 bolt mount for a 2 bolt pump. The auxiliary drive on an 864 has the 3 bolt mount.  The only thing I don't know is if the drive gears are interchangeable from engine to engine and pump to pump. The bigger tank you have would work well. If you what the mount with or without the pump $50 plus shipping, As of a few years ago the Garrison was still available new. Less than $1500 complete if I recall right.

On 5/26/2017 at 1:44 AM, AZB755V8 said:

The pump that I have is small for the volume of oil you will need for the setup. I did not use it for that reason, however an E9 or 825/875 pump would work. I think that drive gear was used on the bigger pump on my truck. You should have a spare pump for your stuff, if not one is on Ebay now for an E9. The thing is you will need the 3 bolt mount for a 2 bolt pump. The auxiliary drive on an 864 has the 3 bolt mount.  The only thing I don't know is if the drive gears are interchangeable from engine to engine and pump to pump. The bigger tank you have would work well. If you what the mount with or without the pump $50 plus shipping, As of a few years ago the Garrison was still available new. Less than $1500 complete if I recall right.

PM sent