Neway air ride panhard bar question

Ok, my panhard bar was getting loose.  Rust is coming out of the sockets.  I got on my computer and looked at the booklet I saved from when I put it under the truck.  I've used it to replace pivot bushings so I know it must be good information.

I looked up the panhard bar parts and they offer two versions(1 1/8" thread and 1/1 4" thread).  Mine is 1 1/4", so I ordered it and the other end(same for both rods).  You have to cut the rod to length and weld the other end on.  

I got the truck apart last night and determined that something is amiss.  The new ends are not ball sockets and I can't seem to rotate them and they don't line up well(I haven't cut and welded them yet).  The bolt on end has 5/8" holes and mine is 3/4".  I can open those up, but don't know why they are smaller?  They only offer just the one choice.  I slipped the tapered end into the housing and smacked it with a BFH and it didn't budge.  Just looking at it, doesn't appear to be a ball socket?  It needs to be or I won't be able to line it up and install it.

Anyone ever had to deal with is?  I'll put my old one back in for now(with a shot of grease) but I want to replace it.

IMG_20170420_075900_931.jpg

IMG_20170420_075921_520.jpg

IMG_20170420_075907_926.jpg

IMG_20170420_075927_144.jpg

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Ya, pretty sure they had tags on them.  I have the part number from the original part, but it doesn't google up to anything.

sb3379d and e8hs4962aaa

Ummm, ARD sum sum sumthin or uther.............mmmm.  I'll have to look tonight.   I think it is ARD 125?

Here is link to what I have at home.

http://www.huskidrive.com/files/downloads/neway_ard_manual.pdf

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

Guess I shoulda asked about this 6 months ago when I had all this time to have it apart.  I wasn't thinking it was going to be that tough.  I have a road trip next weekend so I have to put what I have back together.

Thanks, I'll call them and see if they have what I need.  I see they are just south of Pittsburgh.  I'm heading to Beaver Springs, PA so they aren't really on my way(I'm taking 80 across).

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

Guess I shoulda asked about this 6 months ago when I had all this time to have it apart.  I wasn't thinking it was going to be that tough.  I have a road trip next weekend so I have to put what I have back together.
Thanks, I'll call them and see if they have what I need.  I see they are just south of Pittsburgh.  I'm heading to Beaver Springs, PA so they aren't really on my way(I'm taking 80 across).

I wasn't aware they have a location in Pittsburgh. I deal with the home location in Allentown. Always helpful , but I notice a lot of the parts for the new way are obsolete. I had a hard time sourcing airbags. mine is an ARD 38.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I went through some time getting new bags for mine back when I put it under the truck.  Local place had to call Firestone and cross them to something newer.  I put new pivot bushings and cross bar bushings in it without too much fuss.

The address from the website comes up as Whitehall, PA.  South of Pitts.

Larry

I spoke to Stengel Bros and they weren't much help over the phone.  I called Van Horn Truck parts and they seem to be able to get me a different arrangement that looks like a ball/socket design instead of solid rubber bushing.  They saw my concern about trying to get it installed once I weld it and the rubber not giving me enough play.  I will be getting a call Monday about returning my parts and ordering the other version.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

I have replaced a bunch some were ball socket some were bushings.  I have had good luck with inland truck parts.  Installing the rubber are easy I use a 10k ratchet strap and pull the axles one way or the other to get lined up doesn't take much pull to move them and a 3 ton floor jack to lift enough to get it to float on the bushings.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

When I replaced the torque rod on my camelback I pulled off the ball and socket type and it was replaced with the end just like your new one. they are stiff... If the new rod is the same length you should be ok. I recall the mechanic had to pull on the axle so things lined up. once he got all the nuts started we drove it home.

• Like 1

Well, Van Horn took the stuff back and I got the right stuff now.  Ball/socket design and 3/4" holes in the other end.  Should be good to go once I get time to cut/weld/install it.

Larry