PA Turnpike/NJ Turnpike Bridge

1958 F.W.D.

Some of you may have heard by now that the Pa Turnpike Bridge that crosses the Delaware River and connect the Pa Turnpike and the NJ Turnpike had to close 2 weeks ago due to a crack in a main structural support member. It was hoped that inspections of all of the main structural members (this is no little pissant bridge, either.....) Was to have been done by today and that the Pa/NJ Turnpike Commissions would announce the bridge re-opening. 

It was just announced today that the bridge will remain CLOSED to all traffic for at least 8 more weeks, if not longer. So if you use the Pa Turnpike to get to NJ or vice-versa, you can't get there from here. Plan accordingly. And you should consider a wide detour- like Interstate 78 or 80 to the North or the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the south- because the 44,000 vehicles that use the bridge daily are crossing the bridges in Trenton and Philly. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

it ain't a "crack" one of the main beams snapped completely open 3/4 inch and shifted 2 inches to the side. 

i know the lead welder trying to fix it and inspect the rest of the structural steel.

he said it is cheap china steel, and that the bridge most likely will need to be replaced. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

52 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

it ain't a "crack" one of the main beams snapped completely open 3/4 inch and shifted 2 inches to the side. 

i know the lead welder trying to fix it and inspect the rest of the structural steel.

he said it is cheap china steel, and that the bridge most likely will need to be replaced. 

glad we don`t get into that kind of mess . thats a really spooky situation

I once read an article somewhere about unsafe bridges in America, this was probably in the '80's, maybe 90's, and the Francis Scott Key Bridge was named as one of the worst. I crossed it pretty regularly at the time because we loaded  at Bethlehem Steel in Sparrows Point all the time. I thought about that article every time I crossed that bridge, and still do.

Speaking of bridges, I went to Boston the night the Mianus River bridge collapsed in Greenwich, Connecticut but I went up 81 and 84 that night instead of up 95. I started hearing about it on the CB when I was around Newburgh, N.Y. best I can remember. Two of Dick Harris' trucks- Harris Trucking, out of Lynchburg- were running together that night, and the first one made it across and the bridge fell before the second one crossed. He got stopped OK, but still it was a close call,eh?

Which reminds me of the late Oliver Davis, a.k.a. "shoeshine boy". We were running up rt. 35 together in the 80's and I asked him if he had ever crossed the old bridge from Point Pleasant, W.V. to Gallipolis, Oh. that fell in 1968. He said "$#!t, I was two trucks from getting on that son of a bitch when it fell!"

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

They are building a new interchange that will connect Interstate 95 and PA Turnpike Interstate 276. When finish the section between new interchange and NJ turnpike will be renumber I-95 including the damage bridge. NJ Turnpike at damage bridge to George Washington Bridge will I-95. I-95 at new interchange to Scudders Fall Bridge will be renumber I-295 

Parallel Delaware River Bridge - New Southern Delaware River Bridge (Planned Design. Construction 2025 or later) This section will include a new parallel bridge structure south of the existing Delaware River Bridge. This bridge will be built first to accommodate both East and Westbound traffic over the Delaware River Bridge while the existing structure is    rehabilitated. After that time, Westbound traffic will run on the existing bridge, while Eastbound traffic will run on the new bridge to the south. They maybe push rehabilitated early on the bridge.

Edited by Joseph Moody Jr

To davehummell that maybe the Route 611 bridge and it still there. I think it name Portland–Columbia Toll Bridge

I live 5 miles from the Portland bridge. It was built in 1952-53, and just in time. The Portland covered bridge washed away in the flood of 1955. There is a pedestrian bridge today where the historic covered bridge used to be.
  • Like 1

Underdog, I lived up in what was called powderkeg hill. I went to the banger engine shows for years. I should have known the name of that bridge but it was a long time ago. Thanks guys

IDK, maybe you also used the free bridge at Belvidere, NJ. OK for small vehicles with an 8 ton weight limit, and about 15 feet wide.

OD I crossed the San Francisco Bay Bridge two                 .  weeks before it fell in the bay due to the earthquake in the 90s and I crossed the I 35 bridge in Minnesota a week  before it fell, must not have been " my time" Whew! Been across the " new" bridge at Point Pleasant Wv. dozens of times since they rebuilt it! That's where the so called "moth man" creature is said to have appeared before the bridge fell in 71 I think it was! I wonder how many times you and I " passed In the night"? Have you ever stopped at the little t.s. in Jackson Oh on 35? Best friend chicken in America😁

8 hours ago, BillyT said:

OD I crossed the San Francisco Bay Bridge two                 .  weeks before it fell in the bay due to the earthquake in the 90s and I crossed the I 35 bridge in Minnesota a week  before it fell, must not have been " my time" Whew! Been across the " new" bridge at Point Pleasant Wv. dozens of times since they rebuilt it! That's where the so called "moth man" creature is said to have appeared before the bridge fell in 71 I think it was! I wonder how many times you and I " passed In the night"? Have you ever stopped at the little t.s. in Jackson Oh on 35? Best friend chicken in America😁

Yes, I've stopped there a few times, but I used to stop more in Chillicothe at the Highway Diner and sometimes the old "Schoolhouse" restaurant. I don't know if either of them are still there because the new road doesn't go by them- they're probably still there, but most likely closed. I don't run that way much any more.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 1 month later...