E7 454 VMAC1 blowing black smoke like a chimmney

Elitedownunder

Guys,

Just had a rebuild on my 94 CLR E7 454 VMAC1 runs sweet until you put your boot into it and the black smoke is awful. How do I stop this from occurring?

The pump to engine timing was set up at 10 BTDC and with the use of the A/B black box.

This motor spun a bearing but I did notice a day prior it started blowing the black smoke.

I have checked all restrictions and even bypassed the spark arrestor (so a straight out pipe), still the same.

I think my pump is a P7100 series Bosch but I am not sure and have added a pic of the plate.

Any thoughts on how to solve this?

015.JPG

What do I check on the turbo....there is a weep of oil going into the intercooler, and should the manifold gauge move when revved or only when under load? I have checked the line from the manifold and when I blow into it the gauge reacts. The line to the compressor is clear and its sucking or blowing from the manifold.

I have attached pics of the turbos OEM plate and also another pic of the motor.

021.JPG

023.JPG

I see the problem! Your steering gear box is on the wrong side of the frame! LOL. Just kidding!  We always set up the pump timing  1 to 1.5 degrees  above what ever it say on the valve cover using the A/B light that plug into the side of the injection pump.  Any higher that 1.5 degrees we found that the engine will over heat in the summer months. 

Yes, could be, Gearhead is right as I was saying the same if air is being forced into the intercooler it should expand the hoses not collapse...though I may have found the problem with this intercooler, will have to have it pressure tested but I want to stick a borescope down into it to see if a rag did not get sucked down.

That collapses is common ! caused by turbo lag however they should suck in a bit then inflate , you should be sure the filters are clean and installed correctly and yup that coolers a good suspect!

Edited by fjh

On 12/3/2016 at 5:15 PM, Elitedownunder said:

Even taking the filter out as there is only one main filter, so there is no restriction it still sucks in the hose. Anyway I am out of money now to continue.... but I should be able to pressure test this intercooler myself with some couplings.

I honestly don't think you'll be able to pressure test it yourself if that's how you removed it...........

Ok I only have started reading this has any thought that perhaps some bits of the main bearing in the days leading up to it chucking the bearing ended up going thru the turbo 

Because if your making black smoke fuel isnt getting burnt so your not getting enough air to burn the fuel properly 

Paul

5 minutes ago, Elitedownunder said:

Full rebuild so all of the above, but I set up the pump with the ab kent Moore black box.......can I still be wrong?

It wont be this keep it simple you have un burnt fuel so you have a lack of air flow and its either plugged air filter (just remove the hose off the turbo and take it for a run if its better you know where to look 

Or maybe prove the inter cooler is fine just get some pipe the right size and replace it temporally with a pipe so you no the restriction isnt in the inter cooler but I dont think its that either

I reckon you have sucked some bearing into the turbo and stuffed the bearing

Paul