end673 heads

beatngu

Well the heads have been shipped out for cleaning and a pressure check it looks like the rear head was warped from the buildup of black funk on the gasket. I don't know if it would be sure to reuse the old baskets so the idea is to have new ones cut out of copper. What would the proper thickness be for the gasket?

When I popped a stud a few years ago, I bought 3-4 of them from Stanton Mack.  Not sure how many are floating around anymore?  I was going to check ARP to see if they had anything I could use, but didn't need to.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It doesn't hurt to have at least a COUPLE studs/nuts laying around.  Mine lasted quite a while, then in a couple years popped two studs.  Nothing tragic to replace, just weld a nut to the stud and unscrew it, but might save you some headaches later if it happens.

Larry

Glenn might have an opinion on this too.

Looks to me like one head was replaced in the past.

Both heads are 18 stud heads, but one looks like it has the larger holes for the 3/4" corner studs.

The studs are 9/16", with special washers to adapt the later head with the large holes to 9/16 studs.

Also Glenn, if memory serves me, wasn't there plugs made to seal off the corner water passages in the block and head?

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I know back the first time I put valve cover gaskets on my 673 (about 2002), I grabbed a valve and gave it a wiggle.  I just closed my eyes and glued the covers back on LOL!!   See ran for another 14 yrs without issue.  Mostly flat on the governor at 2100 rpm.  Presently it is sitting next to the garage waiting to find a new owner.

• Like 1

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

Got the heads back, he planed 5 thousandth off both pressure checked and cleaned plus 2 new frost plugs. The left head does have 5/8 corner stud holes... don't know if that is an issue or not. Those plugs in the head were actually reducers of some sort maybe that is why it was running 80 pounds of oil pressure?

20160814_143638.jpg

20160814_143618.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got talked into having the valve guides knurled in my 77 Ford 302 engine. It was a mistake i'll never do again. I would not do it to any engine cause it is just borrowing time. I did not do it with my 673. Dad used to say (if it is worth having then it is worth doing it right).