Bet no one has seen this... Valve Cover E7 pin hole.

This morning I took off the valve covers and risers to re-seal the gaskets (clean and apply RTV) and throw it all back together. As I was cleaning the forward valve cover, I saw i had a rubbed spot from the turbo oil supply hose (which has a frayed jacket). In that rub spot is a tiny pin hole. Mack wants $210 and will have to order it (Down time :() so my question is can it be JB welded (Epoxy)? They say the temps for the epoxy can get up to 500 degrees? Is that okay or might the motor get hotter? I'm waiting for a phone call from a friend who can weld aluminum (I think that they are) and will go with that first, 2nd epoxy if you guys agree that would work, and third, spend more money on a new one. Pics are on my facebook page.  Andrew Keffer or Keffer Transport

Temps are no way ever near 500 at best 1/3 of that 

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Water temp only gets 200* or so.   If just a pinhole then I would just JB it.  Clean it up good, scuff it for some good gripping power, don't let any fall inside as you don't want pieces floating around the valve cover.  Make sure to get something to keep that line from rubbing on the JB.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

10-4. I thought the temp would only be near 200 degrees but I had someone else trying to tell me that it would be hotter. The covers are still off so I can easily JB weld it without the worry of stuff falling. The hole is about a 1/16" hole. You think wrapping the turbo hose in pipe insulation from Home Depot?

Or use a larger sized rubber hose and clamp it on?  Or a piece of soft braided fuel line?

If you are handy, drill and tap it for a small bolt and lock tite it in?  Then you don't have to worry about it, though the bolt head will likely cut through the turbo line?

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 5/28/2016 at 1:08 AM, Timmyb said:

There are soldering rods available for aluminium if your after a more permanent fix. Looks easy enough to do from looking at the videos. 

http://www.alumiweld.com

that is one example of them. 

tim thanks  you may have just answered my search for a repair method for some pot metal trim for my old chrysler

36 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

tim thanks  you may have just answered my search for a repair method for some pot metal trim for my old chrysler

I You need to be very careful with the soldering rods. The rods melting point is 700 degrees and is extremely close to the pot metal / Mazak melting point.I use Muugy Weld rod it is made for pot metal repair with a melting point of 350 degrees. Strong, easy to blend in and chromes up nice. Did all the pot metal on my 1941 Chevy and a few pieces on my 1970 Hurst Chrysler 300.  Paul

http://muggyweld.com/pot-metal-repair

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

I You need to be very careful with the soldering rods. The rods melting point is 700 degrees and is extremely close to the pot metal / Mazak melting point.I use Muugy Weld rod it is made for pot metal repair with a melting point of 350 degrees. Strong, easy to blend in and chromes up nice. Did all the pot metal on my 1941 Chevy and a few pieces on my 1970 Hurst Chrysler 300.  Paul

well well here`s one that i had not heard of . seems i learn something new  every day  thanks paul. i just decided the other day to do the repairs on my trim myself  the shops that do this kind of stuff are just ridicuolus price wise

13 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

well well here`s one that i had not heard of . seems i learn something new  every day  thanks paul. i just decided the other day to do the repairs on my trim myself  the shops that do this kind of stuff are just ridicuolus price wise

Because most all consider pot metal repairs voodoo and black magic.  :) 

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 5/30/2016 at 10:47 PM, 41chevy said:

I never knew that existed! I knew about soldering copper plumbing pipes and all, but I watched that video of them repairing the head light bezel, and I'm impressed! 

38 minutes ago, Keffer inc said:

I never knew that existed! I knew about soldering copper plumbing pipes and all, but I watched that video of them repairing the head light bezel, and I'm impressed! 

I used a hobby butane pin point torch for better control and bought 1/16 and 1/8th in rods. For my trim parts seemed to work better than the plumbers torch.. Here is the before and after photos of the Flying lady hood ornament before it was plated. I finished it with diffent grit flap wheels and Scotch Brite pads before the plater took over.   Paul

images.jpgimages1.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

I used a hobby butane pin point torch for better control and bought 1/16 and 1/8th in rods. For my trim parts seemed to work better than the plumbers torch.. Here is the before and after photos of the Flying lady hood ornament before it was plated. I finished it with diffent grit flap wheels and Scotch Brite pads before the plater took over.   Paul

images.jpgimages1.jpg

want a job?:D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

want a job?:D

Took almost 50 hours to save it, cheaper than a $1000. for a repro. I'd work on it for an hour or two in the very early mornings when everyone was asleep.

P.T.CHESHIRE