Engine(s) to avoid

jdfordhd

When shopping for a used Mack I know practically every E-6 and E-9 are dependable engines. But as my tire kicking might have me looking at later year models, I'm asking for opinions on which Mack engine should be avoided like the plague..?!?

"If it ain't got a motor, I ain't interested.!!"

Hatcity nailed it. E7 from 91-97 great engines. 98-2003 are meh. 2003 to 2007 are full of issues. MP8 2008 to 2010 are pretty good. The bottom end of MP8 are bullet proof but have issues that can be fixed in the top end without removing the head. Get the exhaust aftertreatment crap deleted and you've got a pretty good unit. 2003 and up to today have sensor/harness issues that seem to increase the newer they get.

• Like 1

If its earlier than 04 you should be fine. The aset's and MP's are junk. I never had a problem with anything earlier than this e6/e7/etech. I work on a fleet of 01-current and the 01/03s are the only ones that don't have constant engine related problems. Been here sine 2005, so I've seen the 'good ones'

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest I'd go is the ASET AI. The AC was were the shit begin.

The MP is mechanically, very very reliable. It's all the attached bullshit that will run your purse dry. Emissions controls, and the usual injector eating.

The worst part is, you let a failure go very long, and the shit hits the fan - it's a landslide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier Etech's liked to eat cams and the aset liked its turbos. Don't know if mp is still having injector cup issues or not. E6 if you lugged it way more than necessary would sometimes crack the last 2 cyl from all that low end grunt

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 7/27/2021 at 3:10 PM, C. D. Litton said:

Getting fuel in oil. Put on new fuel pump sealed all unit pumps. Use priming pump to pressurize system and getting fuel dripping down across crankshaft. Where are we loosing fuel?

There are several threads that address this issue. You have continued from a thread 5 years ago. Year make and model of your truck should be added so the community can help you out.

V

• Like 2