Old Coal Buckets

Gonna post some pics of Macks we hauled coal with over the years. This DM is a 1979 my grandpa bought in 1980. It's the only one we still have.

You're from Pikeville... Beautiful country. I cruise through Martin every now and again. I've got a handful of contract employees at the hospital there.

There were a 1/2 dozen or so nearly identical rigs sitting in the Huddle House parking lot in Harlan last year. Orange and black.... Wonder if they're gone. Looked as if they had been parked for a while. Can you or anyone else explain why the dump bodies on coal rigs are so large compared to other dumps. Is coal lighter and thus you can carry more?

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Coal is light if it comes from strip mine pit or has been processed through a prep plant. If you haul from a deep mine or highwall miner the coal is mixed with slate and mud therefore much heavier. The bed on the DM pictured could only haul about 33 tons of processed "clean" coal. But could haul 45 tons from a deep mine.

the coal trucks siting at the huddle house sat there for a while and then just disappeared a lot of trucks in Harlan were sold and shipped to other countries. the truck I sold to a local guy ended up going to south America for some kind of mining.

Not much more of that coal hauling going on, and who can you thank for that ?? the same ass wipe that now will cause more air pollution because every third world nation is building coal plants because the price of coal is so low, and they have no pollution controls, good move Obama another bullshit excuse to put Americans out of jobs, higher electric costs, yes, very good move liberal voter.

It was that very same guy,who before he was elected said in an interview,"I want to bankrupt the coal companies". Now who in there right mind would vote for a guy that was going to single-handedly unemploy 1000's of workers? A guy who wants (at that time) to be president,to make such a statement like that? Who in the hell voted for him? Oh wait,our politicians have been selling out the American worker for years,why quit now? Sorry,my.02. Al
  • Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Ain't none of them any good they all want to make the U S a 3rd world country by helping the 1% 0f the rich live off our sweat I was just a kid when Nixon went to China to open up free trade and I remember my dad saying well son were all screwed now