Orphaned Pup Followed Me Home:

This thing followed me home early this morning looking to my soft side for love, care, and compassion. You can guess what kind of luck it had. It is a 1973 RL797LST with an ENDT866B engine and 10 speed Mack transmission. It does not run currently, but is not blown up, (supposedly). It is factory built with "Reyco" spring suspension, and has 4.11 gears. Overall not in really bad shape and I quietly "forced" the prior owner to give me, (rather than sell) the OEM roof skin panel he had purchased for it. He had inadvertantly left out a few minor flaws (to me) in his description. I have a spare passenger door, and with a new roof skin and underlying repairs, it should be good to go.

This truck has an aluminum frame, front & rear hubs, battery boxes, and many other aluminum parts. A couple things I'm not particularly fond of is the wedge brakes both front, and rear, and the "Air-O-Matic" steering. I have not tested anything yet, but want to pull the drums to check on the hardware first. They did readily "back off" so we could roll the truck. The aluminum 20" wheels are JUNK! I've never seen aluminum rims so corroded before. There are big hunks of aluminum that literally peel off in your hands and are definately unsafe to use on the road. With the exception of sagging front springs, the suspension appears to be tight.

The passenger side aluminum fuel tank has a hole rubbed through the top of it by an exhaust clamp and I drained out about 32 gallons of water before it started to change to fuel! Both fuel tanks will have to come off the truck to be cleaned throughly before starting to work on it. They are loaded with slime. The truck has not run in nearly 10 years and has for the most part been in a barn smelling like it inside.

There was never a 5th wheel installed. It was a hazardous waste hauler, and had a dumping van body. The wet kit is still on the truck but the reservoir tank bottom was cracked at the valve bung, so it is empty. There is air and electric with a very stout pintle hitch at the rear also. The wheelbase is 221 inches and that is plenty long for me.

Enough rambling, heres some photos.

Thanks to Morgan Heaton for the use of his trailer to get this home! The trusty & crusty ole' Dodge did it again!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Nice lookin truck!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm going to order a box of filters tomorrow and try to get it running by mid week. I've got a couple of "extra" V8 engines if this one isn't any good.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Looks pretty straight, have you barred it over yet?

Yes, it turns over without knocking or being tight. The prior owner never tried to get it running and he had it seven years. The guy he bought it from said that it just stopped running, so it was replaced and never repaired.

As bad as some of the stratoflex hoses look on the truck, it could be something as simple as a fuel line but I want fresh filters, batteries and such before attempting to work with it much.

Rob

looks like a fine unit, I have a few of those wheels that did the same thing, the metal would come off in flakes and lots of white dust between. I bet she pulled better than the east coast r 700 with the double steel frame. If you like just leave it on the trailer when you return it.. ( of course get it running before you drop it off). As for dogs that follow you home.. this one is special.. it followed you home running backwards! Haha

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Shaaaaaaa, Quiet guys. Do you want the Mrs. to hear you? She was recently about to de-seed him for the one's he has now. I guess a trip to Siberia is probably the best medicine.LOL............Rob, can you send a photo of the Mrs. so we fella's may need to help you out someday? LOL

mike :rolleyes:

looks like a fine unit, I have a few of those wheels that did the same thing, the metal would come off in flakes and lots of white dust between. I bet she pulled better than the east coast r 700 with the double steel frame. If you like just leave it on the trailer when you return it.. ( of course get it running before you drop it off). As for dogs that follow you home.. this one is special.. it followed you home running backwards! Haha

Fred

That's right Fred. The other truck with all the ancillary stuff on the frame was a little over 22,000# and just a little more that the trusty Dodge needed. It flawlessly did the deed though.

Ordered a complete engine and trans filter change out kit from Mack this afternoon. Just for shits and grins I also ordered parts to rebuild the shifter handle that is a Mack "Selectair" type. I don't really know if it is bad or not, but as long as the truck has been sitting it sure won't hurt.

The transmission is a TRDL1070 and is overdrive. With a 4.11 rear ratio, it should really scoot and will be good enough for who it is for, (me)! Any idea what type of gear lube should go into the transmission, and rears? Do I need GL-4, or GL-5? I would like to use 80W-90 if acceptable to drive the truck year round. Also how does one know which rear suspension is installed? Where would an I.D. tag be located on Reyco spring?

Thanks,

Rob

Hey Rob, I drove a '74 Frtl. and it had a tag in the cab that said which suspension the truck was equiped with. The problem is, it could have been removed some time ago. (a sticker type tag) You may be able to count the leafes and some one could tell you what you have. My best guess would be a 34,000 lbs. In '73 there were still a few states that only had a 73,273 weight limit.

That is a pretty good looking "R" model. Good luck.

Dak49

Rob on that trans you can put rear end grease like 85/90 mutigear or all purpose in it I am sure that mack has a new grease they ask for now but for many years the mack book said 85/90. mI have used in in a mack gears for many years. Eaton or road ranger dont use that. glenn

glenn akers

Neat looking old unit Rob. You sure do find them, don't cha?

You trying to catch up with Superdog? LOL!!!

No, I'm not. I do like the long hood trucks, especially the V8 powered units.

I've just about reached saturation level so need to stop collecting. I have two more RS series trucks that I'm trying to acquire, but they will both be for parts as one is wrecked, the other rusted beyond repair.

Tonight I hooked up my jumper box to the battery cables and all the electrical with the exception of the outer cab marker lamps worked as they should. I also removed the fuel filters, water conditioner filter and oil filters along with the governor cover to check movement of the fuel rack. The rack moved freely, and the fuel filters were about 1/2 full of water. I was told the truck just shut down and maybe that is true judging from the amount of water in the fuel tank(s). The radiator was dry but I dumped seven gallons of 50/50 and there were no leaks. If my filters show up tomorrow, I may run a temp fuel line and see if she'll fire off.

There is a possibility that I'll be able to drive this one without a lot of work to do so. That would be great!

I've already solemly sworn to myself that I will not tear it apart, (yet).

Rob

nice catch!! would you turn it into a Rubber duck replica?

No, there are a few of those out there already. Probably get rid of the roof mount air when I change the roof skin, and use a modified hood I'm working on for a charge air cooler, and a/c condensor.

Other than those basic modifications, probably not much with the exception to dress it up a little. It is kinda plain right now.

Thanks for the complement.

Rob

Neat looking old unit Rob. You sure do find them, don't cha?

Hi Larry, finding is the easy part. Paying for them is a different story altogether. "This one was priced right". I'll tell you the story when I visit.

Rob

Got her running last evening with fresh filters, and fuel. It runs very well and I'm pleasantly surprised. It did appear to shut down from water contamination in the fuel as when I blew the lines clear while disconnected, they shot a lot of water from them.

With no manual primer pump on the injection pump it required much more engine cranking than I like to do. I had both fuel lines, (suction, and return) into a gallon bucket of fresh fuel so I could not pressurize the system to help it prime. I did pre-fill the filters before installation.

This engine revs faster than any other Mack engine I've ever had. No blue smoke either! The truck readily and rapidly built up air pressure to the cutout pressure, (120psi) but I could not move the truck. The auxillary section of the transmission appears to be in the neutral position and will not shift into high, low, or reverse. I spoke with Tracey at Watt's and he has given me a couple of areas in which to look. I know this problem is simple but never being around one of these before, I need guidance.

Discovered that a mouse has chewed the air line in the roof that goes to the air horn valve as I could see it. All air functions appear to work as they should as does the in dash pyrometer. As soon as I stepped on the dimmer switch to change the headlamps from low to high, it exited this life and I lost all lighting in the truck as the switch fell apart. Jumpering the wiring brought it back to life temporarily. I've got another switch to install but must be tested.

If I can't get it trans fixed by simple means, I'll get it to someone that can. I did find my five speed shift tower so I'll pull the cab floor panel and try to see what gives with this problem also.

I am relieved.

Rob

AC still workin? might interest me if it's in a good shape...

The wires are disconnected on it so I don't have an idea at this point. It is a "Kysor" brand.

I plan to reuse the a/c compressor and brackets that are mouned on the engine and it could be over a year before I break into this truck to replace the roof skin.

Rob

Great to hear it RUNS!!

Hey Trent. Wasn't your B model this same color combo when you bought it?? Seems I recall it was? Maybe it's totally not the same, but when you mentioned the owner it rang a bell.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Great to hear it RUNS!!

Hey Trent. Wasn't your B model this same color combo when you bought it?? Seems I recall it was? Maybe it's totally not the same, but when you mentioned the owner it rang a bell.

Trent's truck was yellow. One of my B models is marked very similar and used amost the same colors.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Went for my first "lengthy" cruise this afternoon and the truck runs, and drives great. The brakes no longer grab, and are smooth and predictable upon application. There is no side pulling at all. It rides a little softer than camelback suspension, but still is no car..... It is definately liveable though and with a flatbed installed, should be quite soft.

I am especially surprised how well I like the transmission. Driving it like a two speed rear is perfect. It shifts crisp, (like RIGHT now) on the upshift split with a "blip" of the throttle, and when preselected to low on the next upshift, it is waiting on you. Downshifting is just as easy to accomplish. The rpm's fall off just like a gasoline engine and the gear spread is similar.

Another thing to note; The throttle response is like nothing else I've driven. In my shops' yard, I can place the transmission into 2nd gear high, start the truck rolling, floorboard the accelerator, and spin the tires! I've not tried it with the power divider locked in but it is sure hard on turf!

I'm going to need to either replace the water pump, or have it rebuilt as the thing has hastened it's leaking to almost a steady stream.

I've now got all of the existing wiring functions working. Need to install a set of flaps, lights, and probably a bumper before licensing after the first of the year. The heater now works great and I may move the roof skin replacement up on the schedule as it is actually worse than originally thought.

Still have not gotten the Air-O-Matic steering working. I have isolated the problem to the 60psi safety valve being defective. It is stuck in the "shut off" position from sitting most likely. The frame mounted air solenoid is getting power via the dash mounted switch but there is no air to it to pass to the torque valve. This I have to work on as the truck steers like a "brick". I'm sure a fresh grease job would help tremendously.

Also discovered that my reverse air actuated piston is unreliable. Went to back the truck up and could not get the trans to shift to reverse. It has worked well until this time. The rebuild kit that is on order will arrive either Monday, or Tuesday so it will be rebuilt shortly therafter. Kinda hard to shove this thing backwards by myself.

Rob