TRXL 107 Trans, PTO gear box

Deere Mack

Hello everyone, hope all is well. It's been a while. I've been working my 79 dump like a mule and she's serving me well. Got a PTO problem. Will not stay in gear, adjusted linkage got me by for a while but now it's over. Preparing to pull the Gear box and wanted to know what to expect. Would the PTO box be a Mack item too, since it's on a mack trans, I'm pretty sure it's all original to the truck. Got the TRXL 107 trans. Thanks in advance!

I doubt Pto would be mack I'm not familiar with mack making any. I have a gear box I pulled off a dump truck cause I needed the pump it's from a 10 speed mack I'll sell if your in need of one it's air operated and almost brand new.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Thanks ALex, but at this point I'm not sure what gear box I have or need. The info plate is missing from mine. I've been told it might be better off cost wise just to replace rather than rebuild. Still diggn' on it.

There isn't a tag on the trans, should be stamped in the case, is this the 6speed with 5 in the front box and direct ,low and reverse in the back box?

There isn't a tag on the trans, should be stamped in the case, is this the 6speed with 5 in the front box and direct ,low and reverse in the back box?

Hello Terry, the tag I was looking for is on the PTO gear box, I know what trans I have and it is the Mack 6 speed. Not sure about the PTO gear box, ended up carrying it to my mechanic due to a time thing. He knows a guy who recently converted several old cable PTO's to air and we have hopes to round up a good used cable gear box. I'll post updates, I was told that they're two different PTO gear boxes for that transmission and it's either one or the other and they're not interchangeable.

It's more than likely a Chelsea PTO as they are by far the most popular.

Can you post a pic of it?

That's what I'm thinking, it is/was red in color. Can't get a pic now. If i do have to buy a new one, I'd like to upgrade if possible. I don't like the way the cable can push in or apply pressure on the gear when the truck twist. My cable is mounted to a frame bracket, guess I could make a mount for the trans. Also, mine has the cylinder type engagement, not a lever.

You should be able to convert that PTO to air shift by just removing the shifter on there now and installing the air shift. Or if your're really cheap and have a air cylinder lying around, you could just hook a cylinder to the shift spool you have on there now.

You should also be able to repair that PTO a lot cheaper than buying another one. I suspect somebody has been shifting it without the clutch depressed and has worn the gears.

I don't know for sure what the spacer is for. Sometimes they are put on to just reverse the rotation of the output, other times they are needed mate to the trans gear.

• Like 1

Got it fixed! After beating my head against the wall, we finally figured out that someone before me had put the fork in backwards that engages the PTO and it wasn't going in gear all the way. Teeth finally started rounding off and would let it jump out. Flipped the fork around and I'm back in business! Thanks again for everyone's help!

Hopefully, you can get any of the metal shavings cleaned out of the trans.

Nice to have the PTO functioning.

Yes it is very nice! I changed the oil. Don't think I got a lot of shaving from this, It just started the day I shut it down. Honestly I'm am amazed that it has run this long without incident. The engagement gear was catching only a 1/4 in or less. It was mainly the friction of the two gears touching that made it work. Put a new cable on it too, now you can use one finger and it slides right in place, very nice!

It never ends...lol, The PTO has never worked better, didn't realize how bad it was until it was fixed. But, didn't get to dump my last load yesturday, somewhere in between the load before and the pit, I lost my PTO drive shaft. Someone must have forgotten to tighten it or push it back far enough. Twenty mile round trip from job to pit, needle in a hay stack! Rain, snow and sleet today so guess I'll be burning up the phone searching for one.