866 V8

ou812jk

Here's two:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/5300332814.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/snw/5364600254.html

I assume the cranks are the same between the '65 and the '66???

I had an engine shipped from CA with YRC freight once, it cost me $250!

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

I understand you cant find brgs.

That is correct. There are 3 different standard main bearings listed for the 865/866. I rebuilt mine close to 20 years ago and could only get one of the part numbers, clearance was on the high side but in spec. I have on the low side oil pressure, min 30psi@650rpm, hot idle and 60@1500rpm. OK but I would like to see 90psi. I recently talked to a old V8 guy and said the 2 oil pump springs need replaced. I did not put new ones in at rebuild. Cant find them ether. Maybe shimming will be the only fix. It is a show truck so no real load on the engine.

I know the first V-8 motors had the single barrel injection pump. Did they change the pump on 864 to the v style or did that happen on the 865? Also, is that v pump the same one they used on the first E9?

I am also looking for any 864 parts or motors if anyone comes across them.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I know the first V-8 motors had the single barrel injection pump. Did they change the pump on 864 to the v style or did that happen on the 865? Also, is that v pump the same one they used on the first E9?

I am also looking for any 864 parts or motors if anyone comes across them.

As 39 Baby Mack said all the 864's except the very last ones had the single barrel pump. You could get ether an 864 or an 865/866 for a few years in the early 70's if I remember correctly.

The V pumps on the 865/866 are similar but not the same as an E9. 11mm plungers in the 865/866, some with retard notch, 13mm plungers in the later E9's. Look the same though.

I have a complete 864 in the barn in Ohio. Have kept it for 20 years but doubt I will every use it. It ran when I got it. Was out of one of the first R-700's. I used an 866 in my B755, PM me about it, also have good twin turbos but no manifolds.

The single plunger pump model was PSM or PSJ

Boy I don't know, it is the one that looks like a spider from the top with all the injector lines. I'll have to get back to the barn to look at the tag. What was the difference, plunger size?

I thank they looked same but its been many years.I have had a lot of them off and on.I follow up behind a guy one time that had pulled the pump with out moving the injector lines.All eight of them was staring me in the face when I looked down in there.Now that I think some more I think the PSM was on the 864 and the PSJ was on some 673 engines.Very few of them that I remember.

• Like 1

glenn akers

I thank they looked same but its been many years.I have had a lot of them off and on.I follow up behind a guy one time that had pulled the pump with out moving the injector lines.All eight of them was staring me in the face when I looked down in there.Now that I think some more I think the PSM was on the 864 and the PSJ was on some 673 engines.Very few of them that I remember.

Sort of like a spider with it's legs pulled off with the injector lines...LOL. You just don't do those things.

All I know is that both the PSM & PSJ were not good pumps for the most part. A lot of problems with them for many guys. Think both came in 4, 6 & 8 cylinders versions and used on other engines.