Think I just bought a Mack M52a1

Hi, New but have been around Macks most of my life. I scored what was listed as an AM General M52a2 Tractor...

Well as soon as I popped the hood...I know a Mack motor when I see one and this truck is a Mack. The data plate says M52a1. I'm told these are rare. I was gonna cut the truck up for parts for my M813 but now I want to keep it if it's a Mack.

post-22191-0-85048300-1450567537_thumb.j

post-22191-0-90103700-1450567542_thumb.j

post-22191-0-08312900-1450567545_thumb.j

• Like 1

If it's a Jeep it'll be a ENDT-673 205hp, If. It's a Mack built trucks it'll be the ENDT673C with 250hp... if she's an AM General then the sad news is the Mack diesel is gone :(

paperworknsays AM General but that is a Mack Motor for sure and I think its the 673. The data plate does not give manufacturer so I don't think it is an Am General.

post-22191-0-40647900-1450713943_thumb.j

post-22191-0-80540300-1450713956_thumb.j

• Like 2

It's a shame because it seems to run good otherwise but when I take the cap off you can hear pressure releasing. I would imagine that much pressure will start blowing out seals etcs ? Could I put a better vent on the valve cover or is she done ?

No sure but most military units were able to ford, so the crankcase could be vented different. Does it have a road vent tube?.

FW

• Like 1

No sure but most military units were able to ford, so the crankcase could be vented different. Does it have a road vent tube?.

FW

You know, you may be on to something. No it does not have a road tube that I can see. This one does have the Fording kit on it. It makes sense now. The one breather at the oil fill is piped into the air filter. There are two more small ones off the top of the valve cover that just point down . They look like the old crankcase tubes we use to put on the Detroit. These tubes both have valves on them operated by the Fording cable in the cab. I will double check that the are clear.

Any ideas where I could find the oil filter numbers and fuel filter ? I could not find anything at Steel Soldiers. Being that this is a Mack motor did the civilian version of it have spin ons or canister also ?

Nice find! How did you find out about it?

I buy and sell alot from the auctions and know some people..... :twothumbsup:

Being unhappily married and having a mother in law living with me gives me alot of time in front of the computer... :(

Edited by acesneights1