Non Posting Members:

Have any of you looked at the amount of posters from the past that no longer participate? I was bored last evening so was scanning through the list and was really surprised how many persons that used to converse, but are now in the distant past. Sad really. Some really good ideas, and answers to problems conveyed through this media without ever meeting face to face.

Might be worth the effort for those of us that know non participants to make contact and urge them back into the group.

Of course there are a few that should not be re-acquainted to the site as is the case anywhere.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

Are you a trucker? Your avatar shows a corn field in the backdrop... just curious... I agree with you though it is nice to get a wide variety of different views of ways to repair problems we all have. B)B)

No, I've never been, and never had a job driving a truck. Just have been around them since a baby, (long time ago).

I actually repair navigational Radars, airport landing lights, standby power generation, and HVAC, for the Federal Aviation Administration. Been doing that since 1984. Prior to that I rebuilt wrecked/totaled automobiles.

Started an autobody repair business in 1993 to work it 15 years to offset college expenses for my wife and kids. After accomplishing that personal goal, or feat, I then closed the business. Working two full time jobs for 15 years did get old.

I now work on my old trucks with renewed passion.

The background to my avatar is a field that I purchased my property to build my building from.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob i have turned the approch light on a few times buit have not had a plane since 93. I got a no no ticket at Baldwin field at Quincy Ill. in about 82 for not getting a special permission to land after the weather has gone south. He said didnt you see the beacan and this was midday and i said yes but did have time to do noting but land .Clouds was down to 200 ft.

glenn akers

Rob i have turned the approch light on a few times buit have not had a plane since 93. I got a no no ticket at Baldwin field at Quincy Ill. in about 82 for not getting a special permission to land after the weather has gone south. He said didnt you see the beacan and this was midday and i said yes but did have time to do noting but land .Clouds was down to 200 ft.

Hi Glenn, that field would be an FBO, (Fixed Base Operated) airport. It is not controlled federally. All of the facilities, approach lights, radios, etc. are maintained/inspected/calibrated by us, but actual operation of the airfield is a private affair. Sometimes the operators can be real jerks.

That field is serviced out of the Moline, IL office. I've never been there myself, but heard of it.

Rob

Rob the bad thing for me was there is or was a flight service station office there and when the weather goes bad you have to get permission to land if you are VFR because it is now a controled zone untill the weather comes back and i had a VFR flight plane so when we landed i went to the window to close my flight plan and that is when he ask if i saw the bacon . Well they will hold a trial by mail and you can fight or pled stupid which that was what i did and told them that i knew for along time i was supid but was trying to do better. About 3 months latter he said send in your certification for a while untill you learn better but he never did say dont fly. I knew the weather was getting bad but that was fastter than normal. We had found a grass field that i was going to put down if had to and then we found Baldwin field. I was glad cause i didnt want to walk home.

glenn akers

geez...y'all make me feel so...so...well, fine actually. I'm just a stupid a$$ truck driver,have been for almost 30 years, but then everybody can't drive an airplane- I don't want no parts of 'em. I'm pretty happy, see - :D . I'm glad to be here and pester Rob- one of my heroes!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Rob the bad thing for me was there is or was a flight service station office there and when the weather goes bad you have to get permission to land if you are VFR because it is now a controled zone untill the weather comes back and i had a VFR flight plane so when we landed i went to the window to close my flight plan and that is when he ask if i saw the bacon . Well they will hold a trial by mail and you can fight or pled stupid which that was what i did and told them that i knew for along time i was supid but was trying to do better. About 3 months latter he said send in your certification for a while untill you learn better but he never did say dont fly. I knew the weather was getting bad but that was fastter than normal. We had found a grass field that i was going to put down if had to and then we found Baldwin field. I was glad cause i didnt want to walk home.

Glenn, the FSS is still there and functioning. If you thought service was bad then; I understand it has deteriorated further. The remainders are sub contracted to Lockheed-Martin for operations and for the most part managed remotely.

I don't work with them at all. The closest FSS to me was located at Decatur, IL but has been closed for several years now.

Rob

you're not talking about me are you?..you know my feelings are easily hurt :(

Not at this time.

You are safe, (for now).

But, Be careful; Use prudent judgement.

I'm keeping a watchful eye out to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Best advice I can give: Do not drive a Peterbilt.

I am cognizant of your feelings and do not wish to impact them negatively.

Rob

Not at this time.

You are safe, (for now).

But, Be careful; Use prudent judgement.

I'm keeping a watchful eye out to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Best advice I can give: Do not drive a Peterbilt.

I am cognizant of your feelings and do not wish to impact them negatively.

Rob

thank you Rob :notworthy:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

thank you Rob :notworthy:

Hi Rob and all who have posted here,

Just a quick one to say I haven't dropped off the perch - I've been too busy to come in and check out things here!

I have to say that I have the old Mack bug and am in the process of purchasing a :mack1: R685RST "Flintstone" (this is what Mack Trucks Australia called the butterfly hood!) - I have decided to restore her to look like a replica of a later Brambles Heavy Haulage R-600/R-700. She has a 6-71 Detroit Diesel 2 stroke, a 13 speed RoadRanger and a single drive axle at the moment - am looking at going to the original 237hp Maxidyne, bogie (tandem) drive and twin stick transmission (quite possibly a Quadruplex and maybe not!!!). The cab, bonnet and guards are all steel so that helps a fair bit with stuff I need to do!!!

Also, one question:

Is there anything I need to look at, eg. rust in the doors, etc, should I want to buy this truck??

TIA,

Joe

PS: I have included a picture of the old girl in her current state! Feel free to let me know where problems do lie with the job!

post-2683-1222774829_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe Hupp

The front fenders if not available or salvageable will be expensive. I also envision quite a bit of expense to be incurred if following through on your stated plan with this unit. This is especially true if you do not have the spare parts in current inventory.

As far as rust: With a mechanics inspection mirror and flashlight look into both of the rear cab corners at lower points. Also above the headliner across the front, sides, and rear of the cab for rust and deterioration where the roof, cab outer, and cab inner panels are spot fastened together. These are very commom rust areas.

The doors are very straight forward. Usually if you can see rust on the outer side, it is much worse on the inner structure. It also appears the cab and front end are "leaning" towards the driver's side on that chassis. This could be as little as cab mouting insolators being bad, or rust in the mounting strutures which would be much worse.

Good luck with your project!

Rob

geez...y'all make me feel so...so...well, fine actually. I'm just a stupid a$$ truck driver,have been for almost 30 years, but then everybody can't drive an airplane- I don't want no parts of 'em. I'm pretty happy, see - :D . I'm glad to be here and pester Rob- one of my heroes!

Anyone can fly a dangum airplane, they don't bend in the middle, fly backward, or fall on their face every time the see a hill. Can you imagine how much easier one of those construction site deliveries would be with a Peterbilt with wings. Just buzz over once to wake everybody up, then fly back over and hit the dump valve. No more backing a mile and a half, blind siding 90 degrees over a 12 foot wide bridge. Rt 50 would be so easy you might consider paying the shipper to haul his freight. Adding an endorsement to your license shouldn't be a problem, you've already passed the physical, and you don't have to be any crazier to be a pilot. Easy as pie, maybe we should open a school?

My R/C planes never lasted long...........maybe it IS easier when you're INSIDE flying them?? LOL!!

I'm much better with ground vehicles!

I've found that I can back better, late at night, with no lights, blindsided, half asleep. Something about mid afternoon on Sat I can't put a trailer inside a football stadium if I try? Is it just me?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

What ever happened to Nigel AKA roadusercharges? He was from New Zealand and even sent me two used sets of Wabco Duomatic air line couplers, the standard used in Kiwi. He charged me nothing. He even sent me a real nice full color used truck magazine that had everything from heavy Japanese, European and American trucks. Real nice guy. Last seen june 2008 and made one post. Before that it was 2006! He used to pop in and post every now and then.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

The front fenders if not available or salvageable will be expensive. I also envision quite a bit of expense to be incurred if following through on your stated plan with this unit. This is especially true if you do not have the spare parts in current inventory.

As far as rust: With a mechanics inspection mirror and flashlight look into both of the rear cab corners at lower points. Also above the headliner across the front, sides, and rear of the cab for rust and deterioration where the roof, cab outer, and cab inner panels are spot fastened together. These are very commom rust areas.

The doors are very straight forward. Usually if you can see rust on the outer side, it is much worse on the inner structure. It also appears the cab and front end are "leaning" towards the driver's side on that chassis. This could be as little as cab mouting insolators being bad, or rust in the mounting strutures which would be much worse.

Good luck with your project!

Rob

Rob,

I'm tending to think this photo doesn't show the truck in it's true style - the lean could be due to the camber of the road.... I'm not questioning your knowledge here but there's a reason why!

Joe

Rob,

I'm tending to think this photo doesn't show the truck in it's true style - the lean could be due to the camber of the road.... I'm not questioning your knowledge here but there's a reason why!

Joe

Hi Joe,

I have no knowledge that I know of; Sometimes I guess good.

I was referring to your statement that you would plan to replace the driveline, and furthered the assumption that the front fenders did not exist, or were in unusable condition. This cites they are physically not installed on the truck in the supplied photo. These items will be costly if needed to be purchased.

Don't get me wrong, that truck is DEFINATELY worth working with as I would if it were mine.

The lean I referred to could quite possibly road crown, (or camber as referred) and/or parallax error from the camera angle. It does look as the frame horn on the driver's side of the truck would measure closer to the bottom or the grille surround than the other side but then again the photo could be subjected to induced error.

I'm not ruling out that my judgement may be off. I'm usually 1/2 bubble off level anyways.

Rob

• 1 month later...
Am surprised you want to pull the GM out, Joe. Is she a "happy" engine?

Andy,

To register vehicles in NSW as Historic (ie XXXXX-H (where X denotes numbers)), they must be pretty well original - engine, gearbox, diffs, suspension, etc. - hence the engine and driveline swap!

I also would like the Detroit for a spare engine or for one to tinker around with in the shed on the weekends!

Joe

:mack1: enthusiast from way back!

PS: Sorry for the slowness of my reply!

Have any of you looked at the amount of posters from the past that no longer participate? I was bored last evening so was scanning through the list and was really surprised how many persons that used to converse, but are now in the distant past. Sad really. Some really good ideas, and answers to problems conveyed through this media without ever meeting face to face.

Might be worth the effort for those of us that know non participants to make contact and urge them back into the group.

Of course there are a few that should not be re-acquainted to the site as is the case anywhere.

Rob

Sorry, Rob for not posting more often, but after the drubbing I took in the Primary elections, I thought it best to ride off and not be seen nor heard from again. However if my public demands it, I will formally declare my intention to form an exploratory commitee in order to determine the viability of tossing my hat in the ring to seek my party's nomination for president. The 2012 election cycle should be gearing up in a few weeks on CNN and FOX. Campaigning does take a lot of time and money, though. Doesn't leave much of either for restoring F-models.

The worst part of embarking on a political career path is that all my good ideas and answers to problems would have to be checked at the gates of bureaucracy.

The worst part of embarking on a political career path is that all my good ideas and answers to problems would have to be checked at the gates of bureaucracy.

That probably depends on how many of your chosen people you can place on office around you,and how quickly...

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rob and all who have posted here,

Just a quick one to say I haven't dropped off the perch - I've been too busy to come in and check out things here!

I have to say that I have the old Mack bug and am in the process of purchasing a :mack1: R685RST "Flintstone" (this is what Mack Trucks Australia called the butterfly hood!) - I have decided to restore her to look like a replica of a later Brambles Heavy Haulage R-600/R-700. She has a 6-71 Detroit Diesel 2 stroke, a 13 speed RoadRanger and a single drive axle at the moment - am looking at going to the original 237hp Maxidyne, bogie (tandem) drive and twin stick transmission (quite possibly a Quadruplex and maybe not!!!). The cab, bonnet and guards are all steel so that helps a fair bit with stuff I need to do!!!

Also, one question:

Is there anything I need to look at, eg. rust in the doors, etc, should I want to buy this truck??

TIA,

Joe

PS: I have included a picture of the old girl in her current state! Feel free to let me know where problems do lie with the job!

Hi Joe, that flinstone do you know if it was originally a single drive 237? Do you know the chassis # ? It looks like a very early one, 1967 or early 68, if you can give me the chassis # i could probably give you an approx build date,eng & D/line details. regards jeffro