R.I. Fire truck show

Loadstar

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. Is the L model an old one? Reason I ask is the fenders are more "bicycle" looking than on the 49 I mess with...They strike me as more like an A model fender. What's the deal there?

Its a good looking truck for sure. I like those fenders too.

Greg, I believe it's an older one...... I think navy.... There's restoration photos and its story on the R.I. Antique fire apparatus website.

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. Is the L model an old one? Reason I ask is the fenders are more "bicycle" looking than on the 49 I mess with...They strike me as more like an A model fender. What's the deal there?

Its a good looking truck for sure. I like those fenders too.

It was explained to me one time that their were L fire truck fenders and L commercial truck fenders. The fire truck style had more of a flat skirt around the tire.

I don't know if this was at a certain time period or during the whole production run? It may have been a case where the fire department could order either style depending on what they wanted?

The truck pictured seems to have more of a peak down the center so maybe this is a very early style? It sure does look good.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The LS model above is a pre-1949. It has what Harvey Eckart calls "high crowned" fenders. 1949 and later have the fender with the large flat section on the side. Both of these styles are different from what is on the commercial L models.

Thanks for the pictures. They are all really neat trucks. I like the LS and the B tiller the most. Mike

• Like 1

Someone should write a book to detail the million or so little details like the fender discussion above. I'd buy a copy for sure but it might take a lifetime to compile. Thank you for the input guys. I learned something new. I love those fenders with the high crown. They look really cool.

Someone write a book...!

Very nice. Where is your rig? Did you see a 53 IH/Oren with "South Warren - Bentonville, VA" markings?

Carl, did not see your old truck.....where abouts in R.I. Did it end up? Here's a picture of it that I'm guessing you took...Hope you don't mind me reposting it. My truck still needs a few things put back on it.....all my spare time this year has gone into framing a new barn.....post-12279-0-19743800-1442966421_thumb.jpost-12279-0-63046500-1442966494_thumb.j
  • Like 1

Carl, did not see your old truck.....where abouts in R.I. Did it end up?

Warwick area. Greg Gemp who was the RI chapter president bought it.

The garage looks good. Time to put the hustle on to beat the snow.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 5 months later...

The "L" model Mack is a 1942 model, one of two Macks sold to the U.S. Navy and sent to the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard in Hingham, MA. After the war this particular

Mack was sold to the Paxton, MA Fire Department where it was Engine 3. It later found its way to the Rhode Island SPAAMFAA group who did a complete

restoration. The twin Mack was sold to the Boston,MA Fire Department where it was assigned to Engine 54 at the Long Island Hospital fire brigade. I don't know

what happened to it after Boston.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bulldogboy said:

The "L" model Mack is a 1942 model, one of two Macks sold to the U.S. Navy and sent to the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard in Hingham, MA. After the war this particular

Mack was sold to the Paxton, MA Fire Department where it was Engine 3. It later found its way to the Rhode Island SPAAMFAA group who did a complete

restoration. The twin Mack was sold to the Boston,MA Fire Department where it was assigned to Engine 54 at the Long Island Hospital fire brigade. I don't know

what happened to it after Boston.

bulldogboy

Nice to see you back!!!! 

Loadstar:

Thanks, I was away for a while and missed a lot of good stuff, especially fire apparatus. I'm quickly catching up on all I missed.  I always liked that unusual Mack TDA  from

Gloucester, MA. It is a 1966 "B" that pulled a Pirsch ladder. In 1985, Gloucester replaced the Pirsch trailer with an LTI 106' ladder and trailer. Most times departments would

keep the ladder and replace the tractor with a new one. Gloucester ended up with an unusual looking "B"  model semi-cab tractor hauling around a newer, fully

compartmentalized trailer. It was replaced in 2009 with a Pierce rear mount ladder. I'm glad to see that it is still around at the shows.

bulldogboy

• Like 1