Thermodyne life expectancy before overhaul?

If you know it has a zillion miles on it and makes some "interesting" noises, it may be time to do an overhaul.

Take an engine oil sample and see what a lab has to say about it. Is it showing fuel in the oil? Is it showing bearing material in the oil? Oil sample test by a good shop is money well spent.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Is this a trick question?

Like anything else. If properly taken care of and maintained according to accepted practices and standards, and assuming the equipment is not abused- it should last indefinitely.

Like others have said....If it's up there in mileage and is clickety-clacking like a railroad track, then an overhaul may be in order.

An oil sample analysis will provide a wealth of information for a small fee. I see you are in Mn......Contact almost any large truck or farm or earth moving machinery dealer, most of the big places either have a lab on site or send their samples to a central lab.

You can also try Giles and Ransome Caterpillar in Bensalem, Pennsylvania- they are who I use. They have a lab in-house and will analyze any make/model engine oil, tranny fluids, fuels, coolants, hydraulic oils, etc. Call them on the phone with your credit card handy. They'll send you a sampling kit- a sample bottle, an overpack bottle, a draw tube (to drop down the dipstick hole), a self-addressed/pre-paid UPS envelope to ship it in, and the paperwork. You draw your sample according to the directions, seal the sample bottle up in the overpack bottle with the label affixed. Fill out the paperwork, seal it all up in the supplied envelope, and drop in a UPS box or call for UPS pickup. You should have results in 8-10 days if that long. Last time I did it 4-5 years ago it cost me less than $20.00

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

If you know it has a zillion miles on it and makes some "interesting" noises, it may be time to do an overhaul.

Take an engine oil sample and see what a lab has to say about it. Is it showing fuel in the oil? Is it showing bearing material in the oil? Oil sample test by a good shop is money well spent.

Thats all great information. I was just curious in general.

My 673 turbo shows 300K+ miles, assuming these are original. The engine runs absolutly perfect, great oil pressure both cold and warm. Slight blue haze of smoke on cold startup but clears once up to operating temp. I belive this truck has had a pretty easy life.

• Like 1