Looking to replace my tractors in my fleet for new units

Marcel67

We just sold one of our 2013 CXU's. I don't want to even mention what it was replaced by but it's pre SCR. If I could find guys to drive older Macks that's all of our fleet would be. Damn steering wheel holders these days have no pride, just entitlement. You cannot import a Glider kit to Canada unless it is a minimum of 6 years old. They just changed the rules in January. I will have to post the new Canadian rules when I get a chance. Guys up here were bringing them in like crazy to skirt the emissions regs. Canada pretty much shut all the loop holes up recently.

Where I haul to all of the paccars have lots of issues. And every one of them have sooted up exhaust pipes. One very large company has hundreds of them in kw's with allisons and autoshifts. The mileage with allisons is about 4 and autoshifts are 4.5mpg. These run routes hauling milk. Another guy has a brand new glider pete with a detroit and runs just interstate and he claims 8mpg. But he said the glider.truck setup was $140,000

I just thought with all these issues I may take a different approach. I can get new tractors thru Penske and yes they have to EGR and DEF. but here is the point, I f I buy a truck my payments are $2500 pm and if I break down its covered by warranty but may sit at the dealer some time. There for I loose revenue by not running them. With Penske if the truck breaks down and get it not fixed in 25 hours I will be rolling out in a rental unit from them till my unit is fixed. At least I don't have down time and keep rolling creating revenue. We may pay a premium but it's better than have trucks sitting in the shop waiting to be God knows to be fixed.

with all these problems with new and almost new trucks I would be going old school the old coolpower Macks are cheap to buy and cheap to run I know it's not the answer you are chasing but I feel you could buy 7 old R models fix everything that needs fixing on them and they would still be cheaper than just one new truck and if you keep them looking shmick the drivers will like driving them cheaper to run easier to fix no need to plug a laptop into them can get parts anywhere

Paul

I agree except try to find a new breed "driver" willing to drive an old R-model.

Gregg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well from everything my friends and others I know talk about, the "new" as in the 2014 and up MP8 trucks have the least issues. All of the newer Mack and Volvo engines have emissions issues if they have excessive idle time. I know the trucks are rated as clean idle but I have a friend with 6 new trucks (2013 and newer) and he has had almost no issues with emissions systems. There are other new trucks in the area with high idle time that are in the shop all the time. I have been told by a Mack insider to go with the MP8 not the MP7 for long term longevity due to wrist pin oiling changes.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Could you give some figures that these people are getting with their Macks eg fuel economy ect ????

The reason I ask is that the figures we see getting around seem to vary a lot and it would be good for all to see some real figures so we can compare what differences there really are

Do people really get 8 and 9 MPG or is 6 MPG the norm

Years ago Macks were always advertised it's not the initial cost of a Mack to look at it's the whole of life cost I wonder is it still the same ??

Paul

I note how you asked this new Volvo generation Mack brand salesman a valid question, and now many days later, he has yet to answer you.

As the "Division Operations Manager," so anxious to sell a Mack brand truck, I'd expect him to set a good example to his salesmen by quickly responding to customer inquiries.

In the days of the former Mack Trucks, our knowledgeable veteran salesman would immediately provide you with an answer to such a question, or within 24 hours for something out-of-the-ordinary.

• Like 1

Yes I noticed the lack of information coming but I always give people the benefit of the doubt I would think here would be the ideal spot to provide some real answers from some real world situations so people can make informed decisions about these points after all heres a bloke wanting to buy some new trucks never no we still may here back from him as he maybe getting the figures together

Paul

Don't ask MHE9 about this subject, he's still waiting on engineering to approve his truck a year later!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The new breed of salesman is a generic one. From selling a washer drier one day to Chevies the next to a MACK the following week. No knowledge of the product beyond what the generic sheet says. Seems more important to know the $ aspect than the products. Contact the company for a tech question, if it's not in the computer you will most likely not get an answer. People with brand knowledge and the willingness to get you answers seems to be a thing of the past.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

With the money saved by not having big monthly truck payments and lower running costs (hopefully much fewer break downs like the new engines) pay the drivers more on what your saving in overhead. I wouldn't think it would take long for word to get out about a company with a nice, well kept older fleet that pays well. Just a thought.

Not a bad way to look at it!

Well from everything my friends and others I know talk about, the "new" as in the 2014 and up MP8 trucks have the least issues. All of the newer Mack and Volvo engines have emissions issues if they have excessive idle time. I know the trucks are rated as clean idle but I have a friend with 6 new trucks (2013 and newer) and he has had almost no issues with emissions systems. There are other new trucks in the area with high idle time that are in the shop all the time. I have been told by a Mack insider to go with the MP8 not the MP7 for long term longevity due to wrist pin oiling changes.

I guess that's why Volvo was pushing to put EPU''s on the new trucks I was looking purchase! To keep idle time down!