Pa Antique tag question

This is a gray area and members at BMT have discussed this in length in the past. If you search for old posts about the topic you will most likely come across them. The gray area is that the language says "can not carry for commercial use" unless it's been changed in the last couple years. I've always treated the antique truck hobby as if were a commercial truck. Look legal and act legal. Keep the truck and trailer maintained and secured as if it were a commerical truck.

The SCDPS Diesel Cop, Sgt Micheal Still, who attended our chapter meeting last spring defined the word commercial as "The truck OR driver recieving any form of compensation for moving goods" . He also stated that you did not need a CDL to operate a large vehicle as long as there is NO compensation to the truck or driver.. When we asked he said ribbons and trophys do NOT count as compensation, BUT breakfast/dinner or a case of beer DOES!!!

Since tractors and farm equipment do not have titles the is no problem hauling your friends stuff, If it is another truck we sort of decided amongst ourselves that a phony bill of sale would solve the explanitions of a routine stop. A fatal accident and you are up sh**ts creek anyhow.

Brocky

I was told with my 77 Mack when i put the classic tag on it last year that i can not pull a trailer with it unless the trailer is part of the classic combination to go along with the tractor, which I am sure you could pull a normal trailer no problems with them not knowing, but if somebody ran into the back of you or you had a fender bender i guess it could get tricky with insurance at that point. That's why i just bobtail my old girl to the shows now

In Penna. I was told you cannot put Antique Plates on a trailer no matter the year. I do pull a trailer with my Antique plated truck with antique trucks on it. So far no problems. I crossed a scale in Virginia and was told to pull around back when I told Weighmaster I had Antique Plates he said go on my way. Joe D.

• Like 1

Hi I was wondering if you can haul a trailer in pa with antique tags and can you take old tractors and equipment on that trailer. thanks for any help I have been getting a ton of different answers.

One Pennsylvanian to another:

The truck and trailer MUST be licensed, registered and insured** as antiques, and they may NOT be used in commerce/for profit in any way. If properly licensed, registered and insured** as antiques, they are exempt from commercial vehicle regulations including the driver needing to possess a CDL.

Many of the DOT Men, bears, local yokels and even private Tag Bureaus are not familiar with the legislation and Pa MV Codes regarding these regulations. I would first check with PENNDOT to see about tagging the trailer. If they are confused or unfamiliar, I would then check with a REPUTABLE private tag bureau. Then if all else fails, you may have to get your State Representative involved as I had to when I was trying to tag my firetruck as an antique truck (long fucking story but they wanted to first tag it as an emergency vehicle because it was a firetruck, could not understand the fact that it was a privately owned vehicle and no longer a municipal firetruck- then when they got that through their thick skulls, I was told it had to have a "Truck" plates and registration because it's GVWR was in excess of 26,001 lbs- true, if it were being used in commerce, which of course it is not. Additionally when it comes to DOT Checkpoints, scales and even being pulled over for a traffic violation, not having inspection stickers or god forbid being involved in an accident, many cops don't know or understand the Pa MVC regarding antiques. I carry copies of the pertinent sections in my glove box, attached to my registration, insurance certificate and a recent CAT Scale certificate.

** Your insurance may have specific requirements or limitations, you must read and understand your individual policy.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

OH regs state the vehicle cannot be used for general transportation. Use only to attend shows, parades, and similar functions. Does PA have this stipulation?

Ken, the verbiage that Pa uses is something along the lines of "The vehicle may not be used for commerce in any way, shape or form."

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS