Drive Tires, which is better?

Hello, In the last month, I've had three blow outs using Iron Heads (recaps). So I'm phasing those out and trying to wrap my truck with Double Coin (virgin-closed shoulders) tires. Today, I blew another cap but had to get a Diamond Back tire, (same). Tomorrow, I need yet another tire because I have a cap with a sidewall blister, I can get either tire, I think I like the Double Coins better, but whats ya'lls input?

I can't speak for any of the other brands, but we get double coins in Australia. My mate runs them on his drive and we have some on our trailers. All in all, they are a good tyre and give us no dramas.

• Like 2

Kieffer: how many times are your failed casings caped? more than twice? when i was working in the construction trade we finally gave up on old casings we would buy new and cap once then sell the casings and our tire problems went away! proper tire maintiance is crutical to running caps if you dont check air pressure on a regular basis and bump your tires several times a day, they wont last! also when installing tires wrap a tape masure around the tires and note the circumfrance, then match them up accordingly! what kills caps is HEAT so under inflated or mismatched size will cause you PAIN

decent luck with double coins on my lowboys had a set fail with 80% tread and aired up tight one time virgin china tire beats a cap any day to me. to bad the US manufactures has shut down their short lines Dunlops and Daytons was the best tire for the money hands down. also if you can find them a Wanli is a china carbon copy of a firestone I've used them quite a bit

I only cap MY casing. I don't know how somebody else took care of their tires so I don't trust somebody else's casing. That being said, I don't buy china anymore. The rubber composition does not lend itself to long life. The side walls weather check quickly and even in between the lugs will check. Usually you will get full life out of the casing, but I wouldn't cap a china tire and expect to get full tread life out of it before it blew.

The last set I bought were Yokohoma's and I am very happy with them. I run my drives at 105 and the steers at 110, so I know the casings are well taken care of. I also get mine capped from a reputable capper. I have a local guy that I like, but if I'm on the road I find a Goddyear dealer.

• 1 month later...